Bluetooth question on MacBook Pro

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I've got a late 2009 MacBook Pro and I've just bought a Magic Mouse (amazing!). Anyway, I was wondering about leaving Bluetooth turned on and how much battery it will use. I obviously turn the mouse off when I'm finished using it but should I switch Bluetooth off on the MacBook or, as I'm not using it with anything else, will it not use any power?

Thanks in advance! :)

C

chas_m

Yes, the BT module uses power all the time that it is on, because it is always scanning for new devices to "discover."

OP
darrylyoung
Reaction score
...even if I turn off 'discoverable'? Thanks for your quick reply :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Should just need to put it in sleep mode when your not using it to save your battery. Good idea on turning the mouse off to, as even hear in MF, people are getting different battery usage out of them.
2 examples are a power user needs to change his every 3-4 weeks and then on the other end of the scale, a web browsing, email and a little chat user was changing theres nearly every fortnight.
So yea there is some differences in them.

EDIT: if you turn off discoverable it wont scan, meaning it want drain ....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.