Bluetooth not available (tried almost everything)

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm hoping that someone can help with a problem. I have a 2011 iMac 21.5" running OS X 10.9.5 and this morning the bluetooth disappeared.
An eject icon appears on the top bar instead, when I click on it, it shows "SuperDrive F12", I cannot eject or do anything to it. And I tried to search it in my computer, but it's no where to be found except on the top bar.

I've tried lots of different things as listed below:

SMC reset
PRAM reset
Deleted - com.apple.Bluetooth.plist and restarted
Repaired Permissions with disk utility

None of the above methods seem to work.:'(

I am not that computer savvy, what should I do now?

Many thanks

C

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M3 iMac, 24 GB RAM, 10 core GPU
Did you open the Bluetooth panel under Preferences? Check "Show in menu bar."

OP
C
Reaction score
hello yes, it's already shown on the menu bar.
but there is a 'W' line on the bluetooth logo, when i click on it, it says 'Bluetooth not available'

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
The eject button for the superdrive does not affect Bluetooth. The BT icon is usually besides that and will be blacked out. If you can see it, click and see if 'Turn Bluetooth On' is available.

Next, does Bluetooth appear is System Preferences? If so see if you can turn it on there. Remember unless selected the BT icon may be hidden in the twelve little dotted icon above the panes. Cick on it and hold to see what else is available but not showing in Preferences.

OP
C
Reaction score
The eject button for the superdrive does not affect Bluetooth. The BT icon is usually besides that and will be blacked out. If you can see it, click and see if 'Turn Bluetooth On' is available.

Next, does Bluetooth appear is System Preferences? If so see if you can turn it on there. Remember unless selected the BT icon may be hidden in the twelve little dotted icon above the panes. Cick on it and hold to see what else is available but not showing in Preferences.

Got it...the bluetooth icon is there, but 'Turn bluetooth on' is not available, it seems that the iMac cannot even recognise the bluetooth...

Reaction score
any updates

Got it...the bluetooth icon is there, but 'Turn bluetooth on' is not available, it seems that the iMac cannot even recognise the bluetooth...

any update with this problem I'm having the same exact problem but my bluetooth is not showing in the preferences 12 dots.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Everything I have read, is to do with the .plist, but you have said that you trashed it and restarted.

Try this and report your findings.
Click on the Bluetooth Icon while holding down the '⌥Alt' ket and this will bring up a lot more information (this happens with a lot of the Apple Menu bar icons) and when the Context Menu comes up, click on "Create Diagnostic Report on Desktop" and read that and see what it says.
We should then be able to Troubleshoot the issue better.

Reaction score
Yes some window popped up saying that I agree to send apple the diagnostics to apple and that I agree so I clicked ok

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
You could unzip the file on your Desktop, and look through the System.log and see if anything pops out. I won't ask you to upload the file so we can look at it, as it might have something in there to do with Privacy.

The only other thing I can think of, is to download Oynx for your version of OS (this is imperative as a version that is for another OS can cause a lot of issues) and then run everything under the "Maintenance" Tab. This is like doing a SuperCharged version of Repairing Permissions. Then Restart your Mac. . .

EDIT: I did find this to uninstall BT and reinstall it and seems to have fixed a lot of peoples BT issues and Mavericks.

You need to open a Terminal Window then copy and paste this into the window and hit return:

Code:
sudo kextunload -b com.apple.iokit.BroadcomBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport

You should have this whole string "sudo kextunload -b com.apple.iokit.BroadcomBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport"

then copy and paste this into the same window and hit return :

Code:
sudo kextload -b com.apple.iokit.BroadcomBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport

You should have this whole string "sudo kextload -b com.apple.iokit.BroadcomBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport"

After this restart your Mac. You also NEED to be connected to the internet for this to take affect.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
A similar problem with Yosemite<>Bluetooth in that I cannot transfer photos taken with my Samsung mobile phone. In upgrading to Yosemite, the Mini partition with that OS version appears to have been renamed as 'First Name's Mac Mini', whereas in the other HD partition with Snow Leopard, the Mini is named 'First Last Name's Mac Mini'.

Bluetooth Prefs does not include Add Device, although I note it goes searching

I can work around the issue by rebooting into SLpd, or using my Macbook (also SLpd), and then transferring images via flash drive, but workarounds are not fixes.

Yosemite also does not recognise my Macbook, even though Bluetooth is On in both machines.

I shall try the Onyx fix, but what thoughts from the experts meantime?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Tacking on a three year old thread may not be the best path. Maybe an Admin will move this to its own thread?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.