Bluetooth HELP!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 2.3 Ghz, 4 gb RAM
I finally got around to pairing up my cellphone to my new to me MacBook Pro and I cannot get them to pair. The phone finds the computer, asks for the passkey. I enter "1234" and push enter. The computer then pops up a window asking for the passkey. I enter "1234" and push OK. The phone then sits and processes for a bit and then tells me that the passkey was rejected and to try again. I push OK and give it the same passkey and then it sits and attempts to pair until I get ticked and shut it off.

I am using a USB-bluetooth dongle which worked fine on my old iBook and paired up great with the phone. I am guessing that there might be a problem with the Intel MBP that is causing this, but I can't seem to figure out just what.

Here's the specs:
Phone - Samsung MyShot (SCH-R430)
MacBook Pro 2.16Ghz, 1gb RAM, OSX 10.4.11
Bluetooth Dongle - Iogear???

What am I missing?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Don't know that much about Bluetooth, but the first thing I'd try would be to get rid of the dongle since you already have bluetooth built into your Mac.

Don't know anything about that phone either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ
If I read your post right, you start the pairing with the your phone. Try to start the pairing on the computer side first. Just make sure the phone is set on discoverable.

I had a little trouble connecting with mine LG phone. I started on the computer side and tried a few times with different settings on my phone and it worked. Now the phone shows up on my MBP bluetooth menu when it's in range.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't know that much about Bluetooth, but the first thing I'd try would be to get rid of the dongle since you already have bluetooth built into your Mac.

Don't know anything about that phone either.

I'd get rid of the dongle IF I had built in Bluetooth. It was optional on the 1st gen MacBook Pros...

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If I read your post right, you start the pairing with the your phone. Try to start the pairing on the computer side first.

That's what's driving me nuts. I can pair from the computer side, but not from the phone side. I've got a "cheap" phone that won't allow me to copy my photos off of the phone from the computer side. I have to send them from the phone to the computer.

I thought maybe the problem was with the dongle (its only USB 1.1 rated) but then you'd think I wouldn't be able to connect from the computer side.

I'm going to write down all my contact information and try a full reset on my phone and see if that changes anything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ
That's what's driving me nuts. I can pair from the computer side, but not from the phone side. I've got a "cheap" phone that won't allow me to copy my photos off of the phone from the computer side. I have to send them from the phone to the computer.

I thought maybe the problem was with the dongle (its only USB 1.1 rated) but then you'd think I wouldn't be able to connect from the computer side.

I'm going to write down all my contact information and try a full reset on my phone and see if that changes anything.

Can't help you on the specifics, each phone is different on how it handle bluetooth. But generally you would start out on the computer side, have it search for bluetooth device. If the phone shows up on the search or on a list, this usually means there is a connection. The next step would be to select settings on your phone to allow that connection to the computer. Then the computer can browse or send/receive files from the phone.

With my LG phone, I have to select the phone on the computer, still have to select 'yes' to allow communication (on the phone) for security purpose, even though there is a connection.

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have same problem but with iPhone and new macbook pro 13".
I want to use bluetooth tethering but can't pair.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.