Bluetooth Headphone help

Reaction score
I recently purchased a Jlab bluetooth headset... its a cheap set as it was purchased strictly for a work reason and will be used minimally. I connect it to the mac and I am trying to use facetime to make calls ... it is connected through my cellphone.. For some reason it will not connect the mic of the headset. I can hear through the headset fine .. It also then tries to re-pair itself when i mess with the sound preferences. Anyone have experience with this ? I do not want to purchase anything expensive as I only am going to be using it for 30 mins a day for work .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
What Mac are you using? Portable or desktop?

What do you mean by "it is connected through my cellphone"?

OP
G
Reaction score
I am on an Imac that I purchased last January When using facetime to make calls you have to have it " port " through your phone .. clearly since Imacs dont have cellular service ... WHen i go into the sound options .. I choose the headphone for the mic Input but it still goes through the Imacs speaker

OP
G
Reaction score
Shouldn’t Your iMac connect to FaceTime via WiFi
Neil
Yes it does ...I am not trying to make a facetime call .... I am using my imac to make phone calls on for work ... I am dialing through the mac instead of having to use my phone .. So it " connects" the cel service of my phone to make a regular phone call ...

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The way the FaceTime call is being made is irrelevant here, but FaceTime on your Mac is using the default sound settings to determine what the input and output devices are.

So go to System Preferences->Sound and click on the Output and Input tabs and ensure that your Bluetooth headset is selected for both. You should also be able to test the input by just speaking and have the scale there reflect that you are speaking.

With those settings checked, try FaceTime again.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Also, make sure your headset is only paired with one "host" at a time. In other words, pair it with either the iMac or your phone. When you want to move to the other "host," you may find it need to tell the first host to forget the headset. Some headsets on the market can pair with more than one device at a time, but many headsets cannot do this.

OP
G
Reaction score
Yes I did the setting thing ... initially it wasnt sticking .. I got it to work and now i find the mic does not pick up my voice easy enough .. I have to talk so loud .... thanks for the help all ... looks like i am looking for another headset

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Cheap BT headsets and ear buds are usually of inferior quality and either will break quickly or do not work right.

Invest in a good BT headset and it will work properly. Look for one that has a good reputation especially for battery life. Read reviews. You don't necessarily have to buy Apple to get good quality.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Cheap BT headsets and ear buds are usually of inferior quality and either will break quickly or do not work right.

Invest in a good BT headset and it will work properly. Look for one that has a good reputation especially for battery life. Read reviews. You don't necessarily have to buy Apple to get good quality.
Couldn't have said it better myself. I've had one set of cheap earbuds literally come apart in my hands after just a few months of use even though they weren't being used every day. Even some expensive earbuds/headsets aren't worth the asking price.

It's a good idea to look for reviews that talk about the quality of the built-in mic if you are going to be responding to calls with them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.