BlueHarvest / CleanMyDrive

Reaction score
Hey, guys! I have a quick question. I use my Mac and Windows quite often so it is nice to use a program like BlueHarvest to get rid of all the junk files. The only problem is that it's not free. CleanMyDrive is free, but it won't work for Snow Leopard. Do any of you guys have any ideas? It would be nice to make a simple script or use Automator, but I'm not sure how to do so. Any help will be appreciated! :)

Thanks in advance!

- Alex

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Check out Onyx for cleaning those files on a Mac. Just make sure to download the right version for your version of OS X. Best of all it's free.

You'll probably find that you need to do that type cleanup far less on the Mac than in Windows. I use my Mac several hours a day almost daily and maybe I had to run Onyx three times last year.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Check out Onyx for cleaning those files on a Mac. Just make sure to download the right version for your version of OS X. Best of all it's free.

You'll probably find that you need to do that type cleanup far less on the Mac than in Windows. I use my Mac several hours a day almost daily and maybe I had to run Onyx three times last year.

I'm not sure if you realized this, but he's talking about the Apple Double and DS_Store files that are normally hidden in OS X's Finder but are fully visible in Windows' Explorer. If you frequently share a drive between Windows and OS X, keeping those files suppressed is handy. Onyx can delete them, but not automatically like BlueHarvest can.

There are quite a few alternative cheap/free apps that can do this cleanup job by dragging/dropping the drive icon onto the app's icon or a window. Below is MacUpdate's page for one of them. You can browse for others using the "similar software" list at the bottom of the page.
OptimUSB for Mac | MacUpdate

OP
S
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the replies! I wish I would have came here first! I have used OnyX before and it indeed works great, but I just wanted something similar to what Lifeisabeach was talking about. The funny thing is that I actually purchased OptimUSB and it won't even open. I have contacted the seller about it. Anyway, I went with Clean Disk. I found it in the similar software section for OptimUSB. Thanks again for the replies. This helped a lot! :)

- Alex

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hey, guys! I have a quick question. I use my Mac and Windows quite often so it is nice to use a program like BlueHarvest to get rid of all the junk files. The only problem is that it's not free. CleanMyDrive is free, but it won't work for Snow Leopard. Do any of you guys have any ideas? It would be nice to make a simple script or use Automator, but I'm not sure how to do so. Any help will be appreciated! :)

Can you tell us exactly what you're trying to do…and why you want to do it?

The program Onyx (suggested above)…is really all that is needed by 99% of users. It's possible you may be trying to do something that is really not necessary…and by trying to use these other apps may be unnecessarily complicating things.

What I mean by "overcomplicating things" is…maybe you're trying to remove things that really aren't a problem…or won't recover much hard drive space if deleted.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you so much for the replies! I wish I would have came here first! I have used OnyX before and it indeed works great, but I just wanted something similar to what Lifeisabeach was talking about. The funny thing is that I actually purchased OptimUSB and it won't even open. I have contacted the seller about it. Anyway, I went with Clean Disk. I found it in the similar software section for OptimUSB. Thanks again for the replies. This helped a lot! :)

Yeah, a lot of these apps that help clean up those files are poorly supported. BlueHarvest has been around for a long time and is well supported. I agree the price is a bit steep for what it does, but it's far more convenient to use vs the drag/drop alternatives.

I should mention that the developer of CleanMyDrive is the same developer who makes CleanMyMac, an app that has been problematic for some people in the past and makes sketchy claims on what it does. I'd avoid that one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can you tell us exactly what you're trying to do…and why you want to do it?

He wants to get rid of the AppleDouble and DS_Store files that OS X creates and are hidden by OS X, but fully visible in Windows and are just clutter when sharing a drive between the two. They can safely be suppressed... all they do is store some metadata that OS X uses (but doesn't absolutely require). Here's what the developer of BlueHarvest has to say about them:

What is a .DS_Store or ._ AppleDouble file?

.DS_Store files are created by OS X to store metadata about folders and files including viewing options, icon positions and color labels. ._ AppleDouble files are created by the OS X when an application adds resource data or metadata to a file on a disk whose format doesn't support resources or metadata.

DS_Store, ._AppleDouble, .Folders. Keep it clean. | zeroonetwenty

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
@LB You're right I didn't think about getting rid of /preventing those files. I either did something so I don't see them anymore or I have learned to ignore them.

Most of the time the files I need to pass between systems they fit on a USB stick so it's a relatively small number of files.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
He wants to get rid of the AppleDouble and DS_Store files that OS X creates and are hidden by OS X, but fully visible in Windows and are just clutter when sharing a drive between the two. They can safely be suppressed... all they do is store some metadata that OS X uses (but doesn't absolutely require). Here's what the developer of BlueHarvest has to say about them:

I hear ya (I knew about the metadata part)…I just didn't go into that much detail with my earlier response to the OP.:) I wanted to find out from the OP why they specifically wanted to get rid of this stuff.

- If the primary goal is to save HD space…I don't think much space will be recovered.
- If the primary goal is to get rid of what might be perceived (by the OP) as sensitive personal info. Again…probably not a purposeful goal…since new metadata will be created with future computer use.

* Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
Yeah, a lot of these apps that help clean up those files are poorly supported. BlueHarvest has been around for a long time and is well supported. I agree the price is a bit steep for what it does, but it's far more convenient to use vs the drag/drop alternatives.

I should mention that the developer of CleanMyDrive is the same developer who makes CleanMyMac, an app that has been problematic for some people in the past and makes sketchy claims on what it does. I'd avoid that one.

BlueHarvest definitely works good, but I have spent so much money lately on computer related stuff that I didn't want to spend anymore. Haha :) As I stated above, Clean Disk works GREAT! It's free and I have used it about five times now without fail. I posted a link to it above if you're interested. :)

Oh, and that info about CleanMyDrive is good to know because I was pretty bummed that 10.6.8 isn't supported.

I hear ya (I knew about the metadata part)…I just didn't go into that much detail with my earlier response to the OP.:) I wanted to find out from the OP why they specifically wanted to get rid of this stuff.

- If the primary goal is to save HD space…I don't think much space will be recovered.
- If the primary goal is to get rid of what might be perceived (by the OP) as sensitive personal info. Again…probably not a purposeful goal…since new metadata will be created with future computer use.

* Nick

Actually, my primary goal was to get rid of those pesky files because I am back and forth on Mac and PC... they always show up in my external drives and flash drives. I know that they don't take up much space or have any important information. Besides, I have 2TB's worth of storage betwixt the two... I just wanted to get rid of them for organizational purposes. ;-)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.