Blue screen - tried many options, need more!

Reaction score
I see this is a common problem and others have posted similar situations, but none seem to be exactly what I am experiencing and I need help.

MacBook Running OS X Leopard 10.5 was latest full install, not sure what the last update was. I run an external drive 320GB; that's the only thing I run externally.

I was playing around with CandyBar, icons and some preferences between the users and files they could access, and had downloaded iSkySoft software that allows you to share items between ipods with no restrictions. iSkySoft and CandyBar both needed restarts so I restart but it comes back to yhe grey/blue screen.

I found my original Leopard install disk and insert it, try to boot to it with 'C' holding and it just comes back with the blue screen, apple, and pinwheel.

I look through some articles and find info on going into single user mode; did this and ran fsck. It said the volume was modified. I ran fsck again and it said the volume appeared to be ok. Rebooted.

Blue screen.

I read more articles on resetting PRAM and did so, to no avail. Reboot.

Blue screen. Actually now, I have the blue screen, circle slash, and pinwheel.

Throughout all this I am trying to boot to the install disk and boot into safe mode and all I get is blue screen. The disk drive was working last week...

Please, anymore tips?! Should I call Apple and pay for a one-time help from the folks there?

I am not that technical...so I need detailed instructions, but I'm really good at following directions!!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Try this: Remove the hard drive from the MacBook. Open up the bottom panel, remove the battery, and gently remove the hard drive by pulling on the tab. Replace the battery, close the bottom panel.

Insert your Leopard DVD and see if you can boot the machine. If it boots OK, the hard drive is likely defective and causing the problem. If it won't boot from the DVD with the hard drive removed, you have a hardware problem that probably should be looked at by an Apple technician.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you're using the correct Leopard DVD to boot the machine with the hard drive removed, it should boot if nothing else is wrong with the hardware.

Is your external hard drive bootable or is it just for data only? Also, it would appear the internal hard drive is OK since it did respond to FSCK from single user mode. Since you removed it for the test and the system is still giving you the blue screen, the problem is elsewhere.

What year and model is your MacBook Pro and which graphics adapter is it using?

OP
A
Reaction score
I am using my original install disk.

My external drive is simply data.

It is a 2007 MacBook, bought in June.

I have no idea what a graphics adapter is.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The reason I asked about which graphics it was using because I thought you had a MacBook Pro. But I see that it's a 2007 MacBook - it uses an integrated graphics chipset.

It does sound like you have a hardware problem with the machine. I don't think it's the hard drive because you removed it and the machine still won't boot. If it turns out to be a bad logic board, the machine is beyond repairing because a new or refurbished board will cost more than the machine is worth.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Take it on in to your local Apple store and let an Apple technician (genius) look at it. Be sure to get an estimate of cost before allowing any repairs. And make an appointment with them first.

Keep in mind that your MacBook is 4 years old and its value is probably around $250 to $300 at most. It is possible, but unlikely that both the hard drive and optical drive are defective at the same time. You never know.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.