• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Blue Screen of Death?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" macbook pro core 2 duo, 2.16ghz, 2gb ram, 160gb hdd. iPod nano 8gb. iPod Photo 20gb.
I was wondering about this whole "blue screen" thing. Okay, so MAC OS X background is a cool blue colour which is called the "blue screen of life", but what exactly does the windows "blue screen of death" look like? Does it even exist in XP? I remember being young on Windows 95, if I pulled out a cd before letting a game finish, I would get a blue screen, is that it?

Any screenshots of this screen?

C

code777

BSOD - happened on my old DELL when the HD failed. It had BSOD and Click of Death at the same time.

its the BIOS screen I believe / gives you all the error codes... but i'm sure others will chime in

I rarely got it until my HD died and it suxed! I hated seeing that BSOD!

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" macbook pro core 2 duo, 2.16ghz, 2gb ram, 160gb hdd. iPod nano 8gb. iPod Photo 20gb.
Oh thanks for those, turns out it was what I thought it was. :)

X

xthisisRomancex

in XP instead of going to thej BSOD in XP it reboots... ( in most cases) so you will rarely get the bsod.

D

Desolate One

xthisisRomancex said:
in XP instead of going to thej BSOD in XP it reboots... ( in most cases) so you will rarely get the bsod.

True, but in my case anytime My XP system would crash the OS would just freeze and I would be left to re-boot it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
you can stop it rebooting by changing the option in the control panel

X

xthisisRomancex

in the later windows before XP wasnt it possible to change the color of ur BSOD...then it would be called the lime green screen of death

I

iDVFH.

Lol. I would put it in red for evil..cause those nasty little buggers always used to get me..hence my iBook..my friend got a BSOD 4 days after she got her Dell laptop..I had a smirk on my face cause she was making fun of my love for Apple (=

Reaction score
mike518 said:
I was wondering about this whole "blue screen" thing. Okay, so MAC OS X background is a cool blue colour which is called the "blue screen of life", but what exactly does the windows "blue screen of death" look like? Does it even exist in XP? I remember being young on Windows 95, if I pulled out a cd before letting a game finish, I would get a blue screen, is that it?

Any screenshots of this screen?

Back in the winders 3.1 days it was called "General Protection Fault" and every one wondered who the **** was this General Protection...

D

Desolate One

James said:
Back in the winders 3.1 days it was called "General Protection Fault" and every one wondered who the **** was this General Protection...

HA! I remember those days. To avoid a crash I pretty much just ran in DOS. Oh yes, the safety of the command line. ;)

Reaction score
xthisisRomancex said:

It actually doesnt reboot itself, they just got rid of it and added it to the Not Responding thing. You cant get it in XP or 2000.

And OS X's blue screen of life is just their wallpaper. The windows blue screen of death is an error that fills your screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
shaun89 said:
It actually doesnt reboot itself, they just got rid of it and added it to the Not Responding thing. You cant get it in XP or 2000.

And OS X's blue screen of life is just their wallpaper. The windows blue screen of death is an error that fills your screen.

The default setting in Win2k/XP is to reboot in case of a severe protection faulte (ie. BSOD). If you change this setting in the System Control Panel, it will not reboot and show the BSOD (which can help to find what's causing it).
It is true though that those BSODs became more rare with 2k/XP...in 9x/Me they are a lot more frequent.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
James said:

I remember back to the Amiga days, it was Guru Meditation Error! No joke. It got it's fair share of them also.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
dtravis7 said:
I remember back to the Amiga days, it was Guru Meditation Error! No joke. It got it's fair share of them also.

And on the Atari ST, it was the row of bombs...the number of bombs determined which error occured.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Avalon said:
And on the Atari ST, it was the row of bombs...the number of bombs determined which error occured.

I remember that like it was yesterday. I ran Atari ST's for a while as I could not afford a Mac at the time. I just thought the Guru Meditation Error was so funny!!

F

flonejek

yeah, the closest thing on macs is when your screen goes transparent/dark and you get the ten different languages saying your computer needs to be rebooted, heh I got a few of those when overclocking my mac mini at 1.58, but after clocking it back to 1.5 (from 1.25) its been great (no multilingul panes of death ;P)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
flonejek said:
yeah, the closest thing on macs is when your screen goes transparent/dark and you get the ten different languages saying your computer needs to be rebooted, heh I got a few of those when overclocking my mac mini at 1.58, but after clocking it back to 1.5 (from 1.25) its been great (no multilingul panes of death ;P)

That's called a Kernel panic... :cool:

J

Jefe3223

I'm sorry for re-awakening this thread, but I need to annouce that my roommate has just recieved the MSxp Blue Screen Of Death... He was using word and it just, bam! Hilarious...luckily eveything came back.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.