Blu ray player /burner optical drive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
5K iMac, i7 Turbo, 512 SSD, Radeon R9 M295X, 24GB Ram
Was wondering if anyone could recommend a Blu-ray player/ burner drive to use with the 5K iMac?

Coming from windows, years ago I always purchased Plextor drives.

Just wondering what ones to avoid etc. Thanks..

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I can't recommend a specific brand but Mac Sales (OWC) stocks several popular BR burner\players. Their items are usually top notch and of course fully warranted and returnable if need be. Take a look here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.5; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.5; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I can't recommend a specific brand but Mac Sales (OWC) stocks several popular BR burner\players. Their items are usually top notch and of course fully warranted and returnable if need be. Take a look here.

@ Sharkz - I have the Apple SuperDrive but does not do Blu-ray; also, I don't believe Apple offers built-in software to play or burn these discs, so you'll have to consider obtaining the appropriate software - could be wrong on that statement, though?

But I agree w/ Chscag above, I've purchased a number of products from OWC and likely would strongly consider their blu-ray offerings although I cannot give you a specific recommendation - however, this BD Drive from them comes packaged w/ Roxio Toast 12 - the drive has received a 4.2/5* rating on their website. Good luck in your selection - Dave :)

OP
Sharkz
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
5K iMac, i7 Turbo, 512 SSD, Radeon R9 M295X, 24GB Ram
I figured I would have to get software to burn discs but Apple doesn't have anything to allow me watch Blu-Ray movies on the iMac? Ok so I guess I'll start researching that next.

Maybe VLC?

Thanks.

I'm leaning towards this one because of the speed and the USB 3.0.
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MR3F8BDSD16/

This rig is starting to get expensive ;-) But well worth it in the end..

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I'm using this software to play back Blu Ray discs. I've only tried a few discs but so far it's working well. I think there's a free trial so you could see if it works with your discs without purchasing it.

There is other software out there as well. I think the Mac version of VLC plays them as well but I hate the interface for that program.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.