Block Skype for my 13 year old

Reaction score
I have a 13 year old daughter who is getting into inappropriate conversations on Skype. She is already losing her laptop for a while, but when I do give it back, is there a way to keep Skype from working on her Mac Pro Laptop? Can I block VOIP connections?

I really appreciate any help on this.

Thank you so much,

Carol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Welcome to the Forum. Parental controls vary depending on which OS u have - start by telling us which one will be on her laptop.

This is Snow Leopard 10.6;

Click for full size

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
The easiest way is to use the parental controls in system preferences!

Edit: Oops, Collin beat me to it :)
What you can do depends on the version as stated above.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
guys, while parental controls does cover lots of features for parents, I don't see a solution there for the OP (SL) ... but maybe I'm just missing it

I though it could be possible to just disable the microphone, but as far as I know, you can't even restrict users from accessing sound system preferences

what is possible with parental controls would be to block skype altogether ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I can't test it on my mac right now as I only have the one admin account setup, and also as it depends on the OSX as to what the options are re allowing or blocking content, and as to how specific you can be.

The parental control for a 13yo girl has has been "busted" having inappropriate conversations may be the best bet.
Firewall should also be setup on her Mac.

To actually block skype would be very tricky, if even possible as it uses many ports and doesn't require a DNS server.

Reaction score
Delete the Skype application file located in /Applications/. Tell her to stick to iChat ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can see a mother daughter war brewing out of all this.
"Back in my day", we didn't have anything more than an Atari or a commodore 64 at that age, but if I had this sort or technology back then, there would have been some major rebellion going on if my internet/chat/mobile phone/etc access was restricted:Evil:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I can see a mother daughter war brewing out of all this.
"Back in my day", we didn't have anything more than an Atari or a commodore 64 at that age, but if I had this sort or technology back then, there would have been some major rebellion going on if my internet/chat/mobile phone/etc access was restricted:Evil:

HAHA i grew up on the land and the old man would take my ute off me for punishment. 'If you wanna go catch yabbies, or rabbit, you can bloody well walk'
And it was a few miles between creeks on our place so i quickly drew into line lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
LOL I can just see everyone reading that going.... "what are yabbies, what's bloody well, and what are creeks" :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
LOL I can just see everyone reading that going.... "what are yabbies, what's bloody well, and what are creeks" :)

Hey, trans-Tas cobbers in this thread - we know. No yabbies here in NZ though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
HAHA yep too true. Lucky i didnt go to ocker on em then lol

Hey, trans-Tas cobbers in this thread - we know. No yabbies here in NZ though.

hugh ole mate you are missing out though. Couldnt live without them, BC i find Cray sooooo soooo over rated !!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I agree about crayfish being overrated. We let the tourists eat them - and pay a small fortune for the privilege.

But back to the Skype topic b4 we get reprimanded :eek: ... Maybe too simple a suggestion, but why not just change the ownership and permissions and then lock the Skype application? I don't particularly want to go through the procedure myself. How many users want to access Skype on that one computer?

C

chas_m

Firewall should also be setup on her Mac.

I don't understand how that would stop Skype from working.

Firewall is unneeded if the household is using a router with NAT (which basically means "any router" these days).

Delete the Skype application file located in /Applications/. Tell her to stick to iChat ;)

Wouldn't she just download another copy?

The Parental Controls (along with only allowing use of the laptop in a public, parentally-monitored area) would probably be the most effective approach. You might also want to start clipping/highlighting news reports of girls her age who get into trouble (or worse) because of "internet pals" and show them to her.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't understand how that would stop Skype from working.

Firewall is unneeded if the household is using a router with NAT (which basically means "any router" these days).

LOL... I know already from your previous posts that you have your reservations about Mac's firewall :)

Blocking incoming connections from Skype! I don't know about you, but I can personally see that this would render skype useless!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.