Blackbook resetting itself after ram upgrade

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2006 black MacBook 2ghz 320 gig hard drive 2gig ram intel core 2 duo lion os
Hello all! I just joined this site after determining it holds the most knowledgable membership of any Mac site I have found. That being said, I need help! After becoming enthralled with apple products in the last year, iPod iPhone iPad, I bought a 2006 black MacBook off of craigslist and made my switch to apple complete. All is well except one problem.
The Mac came with 2 gigs of ram installed and a fresh 320 gig hard drive. As soon as I got it I upgraded to lion os and purchased a 4 gig, 2x2, memory kit from other world computing. According to all I have read, this computer can handle 4 gigs and when I installed it, it recognizes it and seems to work. Shortly after the computer will reset itself and return to exactly where I was before, sometimes will happen after 10 minutes of use sometimes after shorter or longer periods if use. I spoke with tech support and did a pram reset and removed battery and drained holding down power button. Thought it was bad memory so returned and got a replacement. Same problem.
As soon as I replace with the 2 gigs, everything works fine. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It depends on which Black MacBook you have that's from 2006. Two were issued that year. The first series can only utilize 2 GB of memory; anything more than that will cause the machine to either shut down or reboot.

The second issue of 2006 can utilize 3 GB of memory. I suspect your machine is the early version and that's why you're having difficulties.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2006 black MacBook 2ghz 320 gig hard drive 2gig ram intel core 2 duo lion os
My blackbook is the late 2006 model that can utilize 3 gigs of ram. Supposedly there is a benefit to using a "matched" set of 2x2 gigs even though apple says it is only capable of utilizing 3. That being said, will I even notice a difference with the added 1 gig? Or should I just give up on the more power idea and just stick with what works?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You're correct about the late 2006 if that's what you have. 2 x 2 GB modules are better than 1 x 1 GB + 1 x 2 GB to keep the memory in matched pairs.

Also, Apple does not say 3 GB, they say 2 GB. The 3 GB comes from third party memory suppliers such as OWC and MacTracker. Having said that, the 2 x 2 GB modules should have worked. However, if your machine runs OK with 2 GB, that's what I would use.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.