Black vertical shade on left side of screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4 MBP, 2.16 C2D, 1GB
I'm just wondering if this is normal. For about an inch from the left side of the screen, it's noticeable darker. Like a dark vertical shade from top to bottom. Another thing is I can see light seeping out from the bottom of the screen. Is this normal for laptops? I mean, if you guys have this too, then I guess I'm okay with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
I'm new to Apple but have been around laptops for a while now. I would say the problems you describe as not normal. I would take mine straight back for Apple techs to look at.

The light comes from the bottom of the screen and shines upwards on a LCD screen on laptops as far as I am aware. In the dark it is noticeably brighter at the base of my MBP screen.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4 MBP, 2.16 C2D, 1GB
It's not as bad as it sounds, just when there are bright colors around it, I actually have to focus on it to see it. I read someone else had the same thing on macforums.

Does anyone else have this? Maybe if they really try to look for it? I don't want to bring it back to the apple store unless I really have to.

Reaction score
I've actually seen this my self, but just like the original poster, you have to have a white or light color screen and you have to focus on that area to be able to see it.

Reaction score
Ya, I have the problem right now. Sometimes it extends to the left edge. I took pictures and showed them to the Apple Store and, of course, the laptop didn't show the dark spot, but they believed me and the part is on the way. So I suggest taking pictures when it's bad and show the Apple Store, if you are still in warranty.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.