Black Sheep of the Network? Wireless vs. MacBook

Reaction score
Okay, so I know this topic must have been approached before, so if someone thinks this topic is going to mirror a previous discussion, if you would be so kind as to provide the link, I'd be most grateful!

Now that the disclaimer has gone up, I'll begin. A student in college, I'm capable on a computer. Also I've been a PC person most of my life. (I know, booooooo.) Anyways, now I've got a pretty black macbook and a huge problem. I'm in a housing situation with 4 roommates, so we decided to get a wireless router for the house. We hooked it up, set up a name and password for the network, and everything was hunky-dory. Now, all of a sudden, I turn on my computer, which up until this point has only suffered a hard drive issue that resulted in me getting a brand new drive, and I find I can't connect to the internet. Not the network, mind you, the internet itself.

I'm running Airport, and not only does it have our network checked, but I'm also getting full bars. However, when I open Safari, I can't get a page to open for anything.

Any ideas? Also, if you could write your answers with plain english, that'd be great. Alot of the jargon goes right over my head. Thanks!!!

AJB

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.8 24"/ 13" macbook pro / G4 tower & cinema scrren / 12" powerbook / classic curvy G3 laptop!
Are your roommates able to connect to the internet with their computers?

The connection wirelessly between your Mac and the router is one aspect and can be working fine, but if the router is not connecting to the internet then nothing in Safari will work.

There are various ways of approaching this, but first things first - do other computers work?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What encryption is the router using? WEP? WPA? WPA2?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.