Black Screen when trying to install OSX on Macbook Pro

Reaction score
I just upgraded my Macbook Pro with new RAM and a new hard drive. I need to install OSX, but I've run into a problem. Here's what I've been doing:

1. Turn the computer on
2. Hold down "option" on the keyboard (I've also tried holding "C", in which case it just jumps to 5)
3. The disk that came with my computer is in, and it comes up as "Mac OSX Install DVD"
4. Select that
5. The Apple Logo appears, and a moment later a spinning icon appears underneath, and I can hear the disk drive spinning.
6. Here's where things go awry. Instead of the installer coming up as expected, the screen goes black.
7. After a minute, the disk drive sounds like it's powering down.
8. Sometimes it starts making noise again immediately, sometimes touching the trackpad does it.
9. Return to 7 :[

Any suggestions?

PS: I've read on several forms that if there is a problem installing the operating system, you should use Disk Utilities to reformat the drive. This is not applicable, as it seems the people having the problem had gotten to the select destination stage of installation, and I can't open disk utility yet anyway, so please don't suggest this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

First up was the memory purchased from a Mac dealer and have you tried re-seating it? Checked and/or replaced the hard drive ribbon cable as these are pretty fragile and with heat become very brittle with time? Also 100% certain the discs you are using are the ones that arrived with the MBP as they can become mixed up?

OP
G
Reaction score
G'day and welcome to the forums.

First up was the memory purchased from a Mac dealer and have you tried re-seating it? Checked and/or replaced the hard drive ribbon cable as these are pretty fragile and with heat become very brittle with time? Also 100% certain the discs you are using are the ones that arrived with the MBP as they can become mixed up?

Thanks. I rechecked that everything was inserted correctly. There doesn't appear to be any damage to the cable. I purchased the memory from Other World Computing. I am 100% certain that the disk is the correct one.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It may be the disk drive that's at fault. Try blowing some canned (compressed) air into the drive to see if that will help.

OP
G
Reaction score
I put the original hard drive back in and it booted up alright, and it detected the RAM, so the cable and the RAM aren't at fault. I'll try spraying the disk drive with compressed air and trying again. While in OSX on the original hard drive, the install disk came up alright, so if that doesn't work, I'll try target booting the computer (with the new hard drive) and installing the operating system from my Mac Mini.

Reaction score
1. Turn the computer on
2. Hold down "option" on the keyboard (I've also tried holding "C", in which case it just jumps to 5)
3. The disk that came with my computer is in, and it comes up as "Mac OSX Install DVD"
4. Select that
5. The Apple Logo appears, and a moment later a spinning icon appears underneath, and I can hear the disk drive spinning.
6. Here's where things go awry. Instead of the installer coming up as expected, the screen goes black.
7. After a minute, the disk drive sounds like it's powering down.
8. Sometimes it starts making noise again immediately, sometimes touching the trackpad does it.
9. Return to 7 :[

So, I'm having a very similar problem. I have NOT upgraded any hardware. I am trying to just do a fresh install of OSX from scratch. After running into this issue while using the Install DVD, I cloned the disc onto an external hdd and tried running the install that way, giving the same exact result (Black screen after the apple-logo-screen).

The curious thing is, when I press return while the screen is black, I can tell the system is responding and doing something.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Solution

Hi I had this same problem today, but I think that I have found the answer.

I was trying to do a fresh install, onto a newly installed hard-drive. I too was getting all the way through to the grey screen, and then it was turning black.

When I connected my second screen to the Macbook Pro, the laptop screen flashed on and you could see the installer.

This suggested that it was some setting that was turning off the screen, so I cleared the NVRAM and a the installer came good.

The instructions for clearing the NVRAM can be found here https://support.apple.com/kb/HT1533

Reaction score

I was trying to do a fresh install, onto a newly installed hard-drive. I too was getting all the way through to the grey screen, and then it was turning black.

When I connected my second screen to the Macbook Pro, the laptop screen flashed on and you could see the installer.

This suggested that it was some setting that was turning off the screen, so I cleared the NVRAM and a the installer came good.

The instructions for clearing the NVRAM can be found here https://support.apple.com/kb/HT1533

this did the trick for me! Thank you

Reaction score
Quote Originally Posted by stbrob View Post

The instructions for clearing the NVRAM can be found here Page Not Found - Apple Support

-------------------------
Had the same problem. It also worked for me. Thanks a lot

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Had the same problem. It also worked for me. Thanks a lot

Welcome to mac-forums, and you obviously found the proper Apple support document for clearing the NVRAM for your Mac Model.

I gather you are back in business with your Mac now working properly.

Well done.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Sure hope so as this thread is over nine years old and proves the point of having old threads available!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.