Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Wow, this thread made an interesting read :p

OP
M

m1k

Reading that post made my laugh so hard that I began to see stars. Thanks for the laugh, because I needed it.

First of all, I would love a laptop that thin. Great for wardriving and things like that.
Next, my processor is crap compared to the one in the Sony. And chances are, if you do get this laptop, you are obviously not looking for power.
A puny 20 gig hard drive? Why do you need more?
It doesn't have any drives BECAUSE IT IS THIN. I'd like to see you build a WORKING laptop that thin with drives. Go for it, I'll laugh in your face as you fail miserably.
Where the **** are you going to use your laptop for more than 4 hours where you cannot charge it anyway? I only get 2 hours out of my PowerBook, don't be a fool.
It is not crappy. If Apple put a G3 in here and it ran OS X, it would be the best thing since sliced bread for you people. Seriously, screw off and admit that you just love to ***** Apple.

Now now little Apple lovers, we should probably be getting back on topic now.

As I said, there's a line between portable and too portable. If that laptop was under the price of a PowerBook, I would definitely go for it. But because it's a bit thinner than your average PowerBook, it gives up waaay too many features.

I know you're not looking for power, but you can easily get a $999 Windows PC or a $1099 iBook that would be as powerful, if not more powerful. Why get less for more when you can get more for less? (TM FutureShop or something)

You need more than a 20GB hard drive nowadays. Why? Well, Windows XPee takes up a few gigs, then you have all your apps installed, then you have your music collection, then you have all your documents... It starts to add up pretty **** quickly. Don't tell me that you could get by with a 20GB hard drive.

I hate the laptop BECAUSE IT DOESN'T HAVE ANY DRIVES, BECAUSE IT'S THIN. It doesn't matter if it's thin or not, for $3000 I expect to get what I pay for. You have to lug around a portable CD rewriter, which kinda defeats the purpose of an all-in-one ultra-portable laptop. I don't really care if it's thin, you can't use that as an excuse. Sony should have found some way to cram the CD drive into, say, the screen or something. No $3000 laptop should be without a friggin CD drive, that's bull.

I'm going to use my PowerBook for 4 1/2 hours each day, because I'M A STUDENT. Yeah, I get a good 4 1/2 hours out of my PowerBook. And yeah, I usually use all of it in one day BECAUSE I'M A STUDENT. Students need longer battery life. People at work need longer battery life so they can get by a full day without charging. Everybody needs more battery life. I don't think I could get by on 3 1/2 hours of battery life per charge. Again, I don't care if it's thin, A $3000 COMPUTER SHOULD NEVER HAVE A 4HOUR BATTERY! That's waaay too little.

I love Macs because they're better, more beautiful, have more features and have a more devoted crowd than PCs. If you don't feel the same then why are you even on this forum on the first place?

OP
M

MoltenLava

Stop this nonsense.

No need to bash this great engineering marvel just because (enter your favorite excuse, e.g. it's a PC, you can't afford it, you own something else, etc)

It's a sub 2lbs laptop. It deserves an award, not a blind bashing.

Plus, you are wrong about the spec. It's 1.1GHz Pentium M. Last I checked my VAIO Z1 with 1.3GHz Pentium M is faster than my Powerbook G4. 505X is not going to be slower than your laptop.

Who cares about the CD drive while you are on the road? I never needed mine, except for a couple of occasions where I had to watch a DVD. CDRW is for home, you don't carry them around.

Did I mention it's a sub 2 lbs laptop? Yeah, it's not a PDA, it's a freaking laptop! Although it's sure to have crappy keyboards, it's nevertheless a great engineering achivement.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.6ghz Quad Xeon, 23" Cinema
Are you telling me there are no power outlets are your school? That sucks. Lots of the classrooms at my university (University of Maryland) have an ethernet jack and a poweroutlet built right into the desk surface at each seat specifically for students with laptops. These features are mainly in the technology field buildings (computer science, etc) but there are not gonna be many times at school where you can't charge it. I doubt you use your laptop for any math classes, and if you're on campus for longer than 4 hours a day part of that time is probably spent in a library where a power outlet is definitely going to be available. Quit PC hating.

OP
M

m1k

Stop this nonsense.

No need to bash this great engineering marvel just because (enter your favorite excuse, e.g. it's a PC, you can't afford it, you own something else, etc)

It's a sub 2lbs laptop. It deserves an award, not a blind bashing.

Plus, you are wrong about the spec. It's 1.1GHz Pentium M. Last I checked my VAIO Z1 with 1.3GHz Pentium M is faster than my Powerbook G4. 505X is not going to be slower than your laptop.

Who cares about the CD drive while you are on the road? I never needed mine, except for a couple of occasions where I had to watch a DVD. CDRW is for home, you don't carry them around.

Did I mention it's a sub 2 lbs laptop? Yeah, it's not a PDA, it's a freaking laptop! Although it's sure to have crappy keyboards, it's nevertheless a great engineering achivement.

Yeah, sure, it's really light and thin. I agree about that. That's one of the features I really like about. But seriously, it's so lacking in the other features it's not really worth getting. I love things that are thin and light, I agree. But I also like a lot of features and power and stuff. Sure, the Sony laptop probably deserves an award for being thin, but it's at the 'extreme' end of the balance between portability and function.

I would love that Sony laptop if it had a bit bigger hard drive, upgradeable RAM, an optical drive, a decent pointing system and a better processor, and more ports and longer battery life. I really would. I still like my school's PC laptops and find they're pretty good. I'm not one of those dudes obsessed about Mac. Our PC laptops at school are good because they have an optical drive, a decent hard drive and processor and their RAM is upgradeable. Plus they're dirt cheap. I actually wouldn't mind that Sony at all if it had more features. As I said, I like a balance between features and portability, and I don't care what you say, that Sony is right at the 'portability' end of the scale. Sure, that's great for some people, I admit that, but I wouldn't find it worth it, especially since I could pick up a laptop with a better processor, a better port array, a better hard drive, a better screen, a better pointing device and better RAM, and a Superdrive, for less $$$ than that laptop costs.

I seriously doubt that laptop's 1.1GHz M processor could top my PowerBook's 1.33GHz G4. PCs are always slower than Macs with the same GHz rating, that's a well-known fact. And PC's are certainly always slower than Macs with a higher GHz rating. That Sony would not top the performance I get out of my 1.33GHz PowerBook. Especially because that laptop has 512MB of upgradeable RAM whereas my PowerBook supports up to 1.256GB RAM. And my PowerBook has a Nvidia GeForce FX Go 5200 graphics card, whereas that Sony has 'Intel® 855GM Chipset Integrated Graphics' which is a fancy way of saying 'no graphics card'. So don't give me this shat about the Sony being faster than my 12" PB, because it ain't gonna happen, period.

I care about a CD drive on the road. I care about a CD drive wherever I am. If a friend gives me a CD with some music on it, I want to be able to listen to it where I am, I don't want to have to wait until I get home to put it into my external CD drive to start playing the music. The whole point people get laptops is so they can do stuff on the go. The X505 doesn't allow you to do that at all. You're using excuses like 'Well, you don't really need a CD drive with your laptop because you don't use it...' instead of facing up to the fact that the X505 doesn't have a crucial part of most laptops. Please don't use excuses like that.

But I agree with you, it is an engineering marvel and some people may get it if they don't really need a high-tech laptop. But I personally would like to have more features for less of a price, even if that means I have to carry an extra 2LBS with me wherever I go. I do see your point though, if somebody wanted a light laptop for doing everyday things this would be the laptop to get.

Are you telling me there are no power outlets are your school? That's pretty ****ty. Lots of the classrooms at my university (University of Maryland) have an ethernet jack and a poweroutlet built right into the desk surface at each seat specifically for students with laptops. These features are mainly in the technology field buildings (computer science, etc) but there are not gonna be many times at school where you can't charge it. I doubt you use your laptop for any math classes, and if you're on campus for longer than 4 hours a day part of that time is probably spent in a library where a power outlet is definitely going to be available. Quit PC hating.

Umm... I'm in highschool, dude. There's like 2 power outlets in the entire class. Anyways, you're sort of evading the point of laptops. The point of laptops is to be completely portable anywhere. I doubt there are plugs wherever you go, if you travel globally, so you do need a bigger battery life. Again, you're making excuses for the battery life time of the X505. The battery life is supposedly '2.5-4 hours', meaning you'll typically get somewhere around 3 hours. That's far from the 4.5 hours my PowerBook has, and you do notice it. So stop making exuses for the X505. It has inferior battery life, and battery life does matter with laptops, don't try to get out of that.

Anyways, I don't want to start a flame war at all. If you guys really like the X505, I respect your decision, it's a sleek, stylish laptop that's pretty good. I just wouldn't get it myself, that's all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, you made the argument that students need maximum amount of battery life. I think that while you're at school you will always be near a power outlet. The only time you will not have a power outlet with you are when you're on a flight, maybe using it in a car (which you can use a cigarette adapter to charge). Most people who use laptops with a lot of traveling without access to a power outlet carry two batteries anyways.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Alright I have had to edit a few posts on here for profanity.....Asterisks do not make it alright to imply profanity. Consider this the last warning for those who have had there posts editted

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
trpnmonkey41 said:
Alright I have had to edit a few posts on here for profanity.....Asterisks do not make it alright to imply profanity. Consider this the last warning for those who have had there posts editted
First off, those censored all by themeselves. I didn't bother to edit it, because I doubt all the 10 year olds knew what it was anyway. You might as well turn the censores off all together.

The rules here SERIOUSLY need to be revisited

OP
M

m1k

Yeah, those censored themselves. I assumed it was alright to swear because my swear words would become *s and therefore everything would be alright. If you don't want swear words, you should allow swearing and then give out warnings if anyone swears, if you just replace all the swear words with *s everyone assumes it's alright to swear because the words'll just become *s.

I agree with Abs, the rules should probably be revised.

OP
M

MoltenLava

Problem is not with the rules. It's the self righteous moderators wanting to become net police.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah I moderate on an ice hockey message board. We let the swear filters do their job, we only edit the posts if someone goes around the filter by using $ or some other trick.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I realize those were edited by themselves but they still are not substitutions for the words themselves. If you don't like the rules then leave. If you think its OK then keep on doing it and you will be banned

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
m1k said:
If you don't want swear words, you should allow swearing and then give out warnings if anyone swears

Which is exactly what I am doing. We consider swears the words themselves and the implied asterisks. I gave you all your warnings

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MoltenLava said:
Problem is not with the rules. It's the self righteous moderators wanting to become net police.

It has nothing to do with net policing. I have no problem with swearing but on this board the admins have deemed it unusable on the boards and since I was appointed by them to be a moderator I follow their rules

OP
Y

Yupgi_Girl

HI there! So this would be completely edited out?

"* **** *** ** **** *** **** ** ***** "

Just curious, like. No stars in their eyes at all?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Yupgi_Girl said:

So now you are going to use morris code. As one of the senior members here. I know most you are intelligent individuals, so I don't understand the choose of profanity. I know profanity does not help descript the aituation better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yupgi_Girl said:

No because there is nothing can be figured out from that....It just looks like a bunch of asterisks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
MoltenLava said:
If the rules or moderators bother you, there's no need for you to stay. There are many Mac forums out there, maybe another one would suit your particular needs better. I somehow think that for the majority of our members, the rules here provide them a great environment.

Last time I checked, forums are privately owned, not public. We have the right and duty to provide rules here that create a safe environment for people of all ages.

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
schweb said:
I somehow think that for the majority of our members, the rules here provide them a great environment.
But there is a loophole. And thats me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.