Big Problem

Reaction score
I was looking thru my mac at updates and somehow I lost safari and cannot get it back. Lost bookmarks ability to browse..EVERYTHING. Any way of restoring this? I have 10.6.8 snow leopard I believe.

I am really up a creek without a paddle. Someone please help. I had to use firefox to get to this page

Thanks
Ironman

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's always a "big problem" when you don't have a backup to restore from. Are you sure Safari is gone? Safari would not have been removed by itself. If it's really gone, you can continue using Firefox or Chrome until you can download Safari again.

OP
I
Reaction score
Yes it's gone. How and where do I go to download the version of safari for this mac...10.6.8. ANY assistance would be appreciated I obviously have no idea what I am doing

Thanks
ironman

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I'm a little confused. Are you saying that Safari is no longer in the main Applications folder? Make sure to look at the folder on the main drive (not inside your user folder).

Edit: I see you answered my question while I was typing.

Here's the download link for Safari. You should be able to use another browser to download it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes it's gone. How and where do I go to download the version of safari for this mac...10.6.8. ANY assistance would be appreciated I obviously have no idea what I am doing Thanks ironman

Here's the Apple LINK for downloading Safari. Make sure you download the version for Snow Leopard 10.6.8. And from now on, start making backups... use Time Machine.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I know that a "big problem" can be relative. But to me a "big problem" is spilling a beverage on a laptop…rendering it dead…and now a new $1200- $1500 laptop needs to be purchased.

This problem is more of an annoyance, inconvenience, or a pain in the butt.;) Especially loosing all the bookmarks.

- Have you double checked your "Applications" folder to make sure it's not there?
- Also…try doing a hard drive search to make sure it's just not located somewhere it's not supposed to be…or got accidentally relocated.

* Nick

OP
I
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your help. I downloaded Safari and everything came back as if I had never lost it.

I have been reading up on time machine...GREAT idea. I don't have a lot of things on my computer that I can't replace but why chance it at all. I know there are a lot of external hard drives out there I can use with time machine. I don't want to pay a fortune. Any suggestions on which ones are better than the others? I really appreciate your help

Respectfully
ironman

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Any good quality external hard drive will be OK. Just make sure the capacity is large enough to accommodate all your data. Check out what your local Best Buy has on sale or Office Depot, Staples, Wal-Mart, etc. Compare prices.

OP
I
Reaction score
according to my computer I have 12 GB memory. I did add some after original purchase. Does this sound right to you? I should get an external drive with twice that amount right?

Thanks

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I believe you are confusing RAM (Memory) with Hard Drive Capacity/Size.

If you Right Click on your hard drive on your desktop and click on Get info it will tell you the size and how much of that is left over. Get an external the size of your Internal.

OP
I
Reaction score
Thanks dtravis7.. did as you instructed
499.75 GB 473.95 available..25.81 used all these were on the Get Info when I right clicked on hard disk
So I should be getting 499.75 on my external drive
Thanks for the info

ironman1

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
ironman1 . . .
You will have a hard time finding a 499.75 GB EHDD...but 500 GB EHDD's are readily available everywhere;D.
For just a few more $$$, you could get a 1TB EHDD and partition it and have plenty of storage space for all your stuff. External hard drives usually come with "fancy" software from the manufacturer. I recommend you do not use their software...using Disk Utility on your Mac, simply format and partition the EHDD if you desire. Formatting is mandatory...partitioning is not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I was looking thru my mac at updates and somehow I lost safari and cannot get it back. Lost bookmarks ability to browse..EVERYTHING. Any way of restoring this? I have 10.6.8 snow leopard I believe.

I am really up a creek without a paddle. Someone please help. I had to use firefox to get to this page

I know I'm late joining this discussion, but I have 10.6.8 and have recently abandoned Safari in favor of Firefox. It gets along better with Google docs and some web sites I go to frequently.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.