Best way to "Clean" my Mac?

Reaction score
I would love to manually clean my Mac, but am not sure exactly where to look, nor for what.

I've been using Onyx for awhile and that seems to do some basic things.
I've used AppZapper in the past to delete all files associated with an app I'm uninstalling (or so the claim goes).
I've heard that CleanMyMac is awful.

So, are there any good Cleaning Apps out there that you guys DO recommend?

If not, is there a tutorial anywhere online that will tell me step-by-step how to clean my Mac myself (i.e.: caches, .plist files, leftover bits from uninstalled apps, any detritus that's sucking up processor power & RAM, or loading upon startup and doesn't need to, etc., etc.)?

Once I have the how-to's down, I can build a macro in QuicKeys (favorite program ever) to do all the step-by-steps with the press of a button.

I would almost prefer to do it myself, for two reasons:
  1. To learn more about my computer and what might make it underperform.
  2. To really be able to get in there and clean a little more thoroughly (assuming that some of the all-in-one programs abstain from a deep cleaning for fear of deleting something a user actually needs and having that user blab to everybody that their product sucks...so the software company under-cleans on the side of caution).

Thanks,

J.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I know you'll likely find this hard to believe, particularly if you're accustomed to Windows, but there's really not a whole lot of maintenance needed with OS X. The kernel of OS X is based on BSD, a UNIX-variant, and if you're familiar with UNIX, you'll understand that the OS is designed to run 24/7/365 with little need of maintenance. Running the automated tasks in Onyx every 3-6 months should be all that you need to do.

If you're concerned with the little .plist files that can get left behind when uninstalling an app, AppZapper, AppCleaner, etc. can take care of that stuff for you. Otherwise, just leave it alone.

OP
J
Reaction score
I know you'll likely find this hard to believe, particularly if you're accustomed to Windows, but there's really not a whole lot of maintenance needed with OS X. The kernel of OS X is based on BSD, a UNIX-variant, and if you're familiar with UNIX, you'll understand that the OS is designed to run 24/7/365 with little need of maintenance. Running the automated tasks in Onyx every 3-6 months should be all that you need to do.

If you're concerned with the little .plist files that can get left behind when uninstalling an app, AppZapper, AppCleaner, etc. can take care of that stuff for you. Otherwise, just leave it alone.

Cool. Good to know. Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.