Best recovery software for corrupted CD-R

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm a new member here, and I'm looking for help with a problem regarding a CD-R:

This CD-R was created using a CD recorder connected to the home hi-fi system. Occasionally when I hit record the recorder will spit the CD-R out with a 'Record error' message. This happened to the CD-R that I'm trying to read. It happened after the first track, but I carried on and filled the rest of the CD-R up. It finalised with no problems on the CD recorder, but the Liteon CD/DVD drive connected to the iMac cannot read the CD-R and it spits the disc out. This is obviously related to the error I got using the CD recorder. I checked and the CD recorder has no problems reading and playing the disc.

I have an evaluation version of AppleXsoft File Recovery but I can't get this to see the CD-R either. Would paying for the full version solve this problem, or is this an indication that this software can't help? I read that Roxio Toast can recover data from corrupted or damaged discs too.

Can anyone suggest a solution to recover the files so I can copy them over to the Mac? I remember that AppleXsoft File Recovery did manage to do this on a previous occasion when a badly-pressed CD-R corrupted the TOC and the audio at the beginning of the first track. This problem may be different and therefore require a different solution.

Any help with this much appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited:
OP
N
Reaction score
Update: I tried the disc in my wife's ancient CD/radio and that read it fine!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

Glad that you got it resolved. As you found out, sometimes the only way to read a CD-R is to place it in the original recording device. There are some fairly good software packages that can recover and read old CDs or even ones that have been erased. Unfortunately, the Mac versions are lacking.

I wound up downloading and using Windows CD/DVD recovery software. Of course that doesn't me much good anymore since I no longer have any PCs. :)

OP
N
Reaction score
Thanks. I haven't actually got it resolved as I'd like to copy the files directly across from the CD-R to the Mac. It looks like I'll have to have a hunt on eBay for a different external optical drive that will hopefully be able to read the disc. The current one is a Liteon eBAU108. Can anyone recommend a less fussy one please?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have both a Samsung and an LG external optical drive. Both are inexpensive costing less than $35. You can find then on eBay or at a Best Buy store if you have one nearby.

Ah, sorry about that.... I just noticed you're in the UK, no Best Buy stores. Many of our members are also UK based and perhaps can give you better suggestions for an external optical drive. As a thought, you might try Amazon.uk.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.