• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Best program to compress a large video file?

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a .mp4 file on my iMac that is 9GB in size. I'm looking to compress this movie down to something between 1GB - 4GB. What is a good program to do this?

I have tried the program Handbrake and had a couple of issues with it. The good news is that it compressed my file to around 2.5GB, but for some strange reason the file always deletes itself after it's finished compressing. It seems to be a common issue with Handbrake if you google it, but I don't believe there is a fix yet.

The other problem was that it took just over 24 hours to compress this file and I would rather the compression not take as long as that if possible.

So does anyone know any good programs that will compress this file for me?

Last edited:
Reaction score
why is the mp3 a movie???

mp3 is music

and why is it 9 gigs???

the reason i ask this for is if it was a true mp3 it would be only 500 megs

are you trying to convert a mp4 to a smaller format and if so which movie the reason i ask this is most videos are maxed at 3.58 gigs even lord of the rings is so what exactly are you trying to do???

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have a .mp3 file on my iMac that is 9GB in size. I'm looking to compress this movie down to something between 1GB - 4GB. What is a good program to do this?

There aren't any simply because an MP3 file is already compressed. You would either destroy the file or actually make it larger by using compression software or something like Handbrake. Are you sure you're not referring to another type of file? Maybe mpeg3? There are no MP3 files that are movies.

OP
Danaldinho
Reaction score
why is the mp3 a movie???

mp3 is music

and why is it 9 gigs???

the reason i ask this for is if it was a true mp3 it would be only 500 megs

are you trying to convert a mp4 to a smaller format and if so which movie the reason i ask this is most videos are maxed at 3.58 gigs even lord of the rings is so what exactly are you trying to do???

There aren't any simply because an MP3 file is already compressed. You would either destroy the file or actually make it larger by using compression software or something like Handbrake. Are you sure you're not referring to another type of file? Maybe mpeg3? There are no MP3 files that are movies.

**** my bad guys, I meant to say .mp4.

Sorry about that.

@John I created this .mp4 movie myself in Final Cut Pro.

Reaction score
Read the comments on that site if you think about doing it for free.

Reaction score
i think information helping for u.compress large video files to small video files without losing quality using Handbrake program.
the following 3 reasons also help for u

It can convertvideo from nearly any format, e.g. .wmv – Windows Media Video File, .avi – Audio Video Interleave File, .m4v, .mov, etc.
It is free and Open Source
It works on Windows, Mac and Linux
thanku

Last edited:
Reaction score
It seems to be a common issue with Handbrake if you google it, but I don't believe there is a fix yet.

Sure isn't a common issue with me and I have used it for years. In fact never heard of this problem until you mentioned it.

Just browse to where you want to save the final file.

How on earth is it taking so long to re-render (not compress) your movie?

What are you doing this on?

Handbrake (0.10.0) will use all your resources, all your RAM all the cores on your CPU. Those will be shared if you do something else at the same time, but even then I find it quite fast. A 7Gb movie is rerendered as a x264 1Gb .mp4 in around 30 minutes on my 2007 iMac 27".

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Hey guys,

I have a .mp4 file on my iMac that is 9GB in size. I'm looking to compress this movie down to something between 1GB - 4GB. What is a good program to do this?

Ah, this is the original post, it quite clearly says .mp4.
Personally I use HandBrake, it works perfectly by reducing the render to x 264.
I dont understand the file deletion issue. If it deleted it it would be in the Trash bin, its more likely that it has placed the file into a folder chosen by the user. A simple Spotlight search should turn it up.

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Ah, this is the original post, it quite clearly says .mp4.

It was edited after others questioned the original .mp3

Clicking on the magnifying glass next to the rendered .mp4 file in the Queue takes you straight to the file in Finder.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Oh, oops, I see.:Oops:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.