Best host for beginner

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
I am starting a page for my own personal email, blog, picture hosting and other such stuff.

Mostly it is for the learning experience. What is the best host for this?

I have looked at 1and1.com, godaddy.com, and dreamhost.com

Just wondering what you guys think?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Well... why go with hosting if you're just gonna do that stuff? There are free hosts for that. Like picasa (pictures) and blogger (blogs) and gmail (email).
If you're not hosting a site to make money, why spend any?

M

MacHeadCase

My buddy Stretch went from DreamHost to DownTownHost.

Uptime seems fabulous and loads much faster and he said the support was awesome. I'm sure he'll be in and post more info about his webhost move.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I personally went with Dreamhost. They provide an excellent service and are really cheap. You can do some searching and find coupons that just makes it hard NOT to go with dreamhost. In fact, I only spent 25 bucks for an entire YEAR of hosting and that price includes the domain registration.

The control panel for dreamhost is really great to work with. There are a ton of options and the One-Click installs make things like adding a blog and gallery really simple. :black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Don't even think about using Godaddy for hosting, it will be one of the worst choices you can make. I would look on Webhostintalk.com for good host, and host reviews. Dreamhost is on somewhat of a decline, and I wouldn't really recommend them.

As MHC said, I just moved from Dreamhost to Downtownhost, and the service is tons better. My site has failed to go down yet, support answers are quick and very helpful.

Reaction score
Out of the ones I have used I would say:
GoDaddy = DreamHost > Yahoo Small Business > 1 and 1 = 4eit

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
So with dreamhost can you apply those discounts, like the mac forums one, every year when you need to renew your hosting? Ive convinced myself that ive read somewhere that you can only use it for the first time you set up the hosting, but I would like for that to not be true.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can only use it the first time, then it goes back to full price.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 17", 2g ram, 160 g, final cut express
yea looks like im going with dreamhost to thats what everyone has recommended.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Godaddy has notoriously horrid hosting. Read reviews from people that have used their hosting.

Reaction score
Godaddy has notoriously horrid hosting. Read reviews from people that have used their hosting.

So does 1and1 Internet but look how many satisfied customers they have and how great their stuff is. I have had no problems with GoDaddy or 1and1, so I am one of their happy customers.

Don't take offense with this but I have learned that thousands of people in this world will never be happy with anything and just post reviews or whatever else for the hect of it, even if they haven't tried the companys services.

Reaction score
I have used Dreamhost for about 2 years and love it! I find their support and uptime near perfect. Can't complain for the price and ease of their "One Click Installs".

OP
skye
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
downtown looks decent also.

so basically all are saying that they are the same?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You need to watch out for and stay away from the ones that offer "amazing" deals. Those are the ones overselling, and they load their servers to the max with sites. Which results in slower sites, and more downtime, which is why I left DreamHost. And if you think about it, you will never need 150gb? that Dreamhost offers. I'm hosting 2 sites with my plan, and mine includes my photos, I'm not even over 1GB yet.

I'd go to Webhostingtalk.com and read reviews on hosts, and do some research before you buy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.