BenQ W100 Projector (No signal DVI Dual cable)

Reaction score
Just bought a Mac Mini Intel 1.6ghz.

I also have a BenQ W100 Projector which have been using for some months with a very old PC using a VGA to DVI cable. Now comes the problem!

I have bought a DVI-DVI cable (Dual link) and plugged the Mac into the Projector and nothing appears... No source found at all. The input on the projector is DVI-I according to the BenQ website.

Question is, am i using the right cable? Should it be a DVI-I as per the projector? Does anyone have any experience with a similar or same kind of problem?

Thanks for any help
BEN

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The mini has both a VGA and DVI. First couple of things I would try is using your old VGA - DVI cable, just to make sure it works. Then use the VGA adapter that came with the mini and the new DVI cable. Let us know what happens.

It may be an issue with the dual-link cable, but am not sure. I have never bought one, since I have not had a dual-link capable monitor. I would think that if the BenQ is accepting the cable it should work as the dual-link has additional pins on it.

OP
S
Reaction score
thanks for the advice, tried the old cable with the VGA adaptor and all i get is a flickering screen on the projector..

Maybe i should be using a single link DVi cable as the projector has that as the input?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You still should be getting picture with your old VGA-DVI cable.

Have you attached the mini to another monitor to verify it is putting out a video signal?

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi, FYI this is the cable I have. Strangely it only references HD sources and not computers on the description? I would note that PC World (where i bought it from) have shown this cable operating on a PC unit and LCD monitor so im presuming its nothing to do with the cable?)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-PureAV-Digital-Video-Dual-Link/dp/B0003057GO

I used a VGA to DVI cable when the PC was running on the projector. which shows a picture no problem. I tried using the DVI/VGA adaptor that came with the Mac then plugging the VGA-DVI cable into it. As i say no picture just a flicker now and then.

I have tested Mini and he works fine on a LCD TV using the VGA/DVI adaptor and a standard VGA-VGA cable.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The cable should work according to it's description. Says it is backwards compatible with single-link devices.
Have you ever used the projector through it's dvi port or is this your first try?

The other things to test to figure out where the problem lies:

1) Put the vga adapter on the mini, use the new dvi cable to this and to the projector's dvi port - this should work since you already know the mini's vga port works. If it does work, the issue could be with the MBP dvi port. If it does not work, issue could be the cable or the projector's port.

2) Using the mini, the new dvi cable, connected to your LCD TV or another monitor. If your TV does not have a dvi port, connect the new dvi cable to the mini and attach the vga adapter to the end at the TV. If this works you can now rule out the mini and the cable. The issue is with the dvi port on the projector.

OP
S
Reaction score
So far.....tried

- DVI Dual Link. dead
- DVI Single Link. dead
- Mini Adaptor to VGA ≥ DVI - Finds resolution 800x600 on DVI-A then flicks off

Have now ordered a DVI-I (analogue/digital DVI cable) this appears to have the same connection as the Mini adaptor and the projector apparently has a DVI-I connection....Will post my findings asap.

I guess if all else fails i could buy the Apple DVI - S-video/RCA adaptor? as the projector has s-video in..

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, but junky picture with s-video by comparison - maybe just OK with movies, but you won't want to be browsing the web off of a s-video input.

Have you ever used the dvi input on the projector?

Another option might be a dvi to component adapter.
Can probably get one at a radio shack for less.

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi yes, as in the last post i had a old PC which ran a VGA to DVI (analog) cable to the projector....worked perfectly.

Im hoping the DVI-I ≥ DVI-I (digi/analogue combo) cable will do the trick..

OP
S
Reaction score
HI, futher to my original post about the 'no picture' problem with Mini and BenQ W100 projector i would like to try and set up Switch Res to force the Mac into a 'projector friendly' resolution...

This is the projector http://benq.co.uk/products/Projector/?product=633&page=specifications

Can someone talk me through setting Switch Res up for this projector?

Thanks
Ben
<br><br><span class=otherinfo>Mac Mini & iMac 17 (intel) Mac OS X (10.4.9) </span>

OP
S
Reaction score
DVD-I -> DVI-I didnt work.......running out of ideas on what to try now...

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have you used the DVI port on the Mac successfully on any monitor?
It is possible the port is not working.

OP
S
Reaction score
DVI port is functioning as ive tried the Mini on 2 other displays. I have also installed Windows XP on the Mini using Boot Camp and suprise suprise that works with the projector...it must be a OSX sync/res issue but what i dont know...

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, that's good news.
At this point, think it may be well served to e-mail BenQ tech support and see what they have to say.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.