• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Battery Update 1.2 Released

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
Apple says Battery Update 1.2 updates battery firmware and improves battery functionality.

After Battery Update has been installed, each battery you insert into your MacBook or MacBook Pro will be updated automatically. Your computer's power cord must be connected and plugged into a working power source.

For further information on this Update, please visit this website: http://www.info.apple.com/kbnum/n305256.

Just saw this on S.A., updating now

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Apple says Battery Update 1.2 updates battery firmware and improves battery functionality.

After Battery Update has been installed, each battery you insert into your MacBook or MacBook Pro will be updated automatically. Your computer's power cord must be connected and plugged into a working power source.

For further information on this Update, please visit this website: http://www.info.apple.com/kbnum/n305256.

Just saw this on S.A., updating now

Nice catch, beat me to it. It might be helpful to note that this update applies only to those MacBooks sold between February 2006 and April 2007. According to this article.

OP
iRye
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
Mine''s a C2D, but it needed the update, because I couldn't find that batteryupdate.bundle thing, and it was manufactured in February, but I bought it in April.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
This is the strangest update I've ever seen...

Somehow the actual battery itself is supposed to receive some kind of software update? I didn't even realize there was any sort of software "in" the battery.

Perhaps it just changes the way the green lights show up...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
This is the strangest update I've ever seen...

Somehow the actual battery itself is supposed to receive some kind of software update? I didn't even realize there was any sort of software "in" the battery.

Perhaps it just changes the way the green lights show up...

Yeah, the battery has diagnostic abilities, knows what it's charge is etc, which is how things like Coconut battery work - when you switch batteries, your Mac knows how old it is and how many cycles it's done etc.

Reaction score
Read the article he linked to, it explains everything.

I must be missing it. I still don't see where it says that will be different after the patch except "Battery Update 1.2 updates battery firmware and improves battery functionality"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I must be missing it. I still don't see where it says that will be different after the patch except "Battery Update 1.2 updates battery firmware and improves battery functionality"

That's exactly my qualm. It's so ambiguous.

After reading some reviews on the update, there's really no negative aspects to this update. One of three things can happen. One, your battery is relatively unaffected. Two, you get a performance boost. Three, your out of warranty battery is now eligible for a free replacement.

I'm gonna give it a try

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

You're right, they really don't go into any significant detail. I left a comment on the article as they really need to get into a little more depth.

To be truthful, I really haven't noticed much of a difference in battery performance after installing.

Reaction score
Man, my "time remaining" is jumping all over the place since this update. I click on the menu bar battery icon one moment, and it shows 3:13 remaing, I check again literally 2 seconds later, & it shows 2:08. Never did that before I updated...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone X, Watch 3, '18 MBP w/touchbar, '17 iPad Pro 10.5
So, whats the consensus on this latest update? Is thins one of those "unnecassary" updates, that may cause more harm than good and should be skipped? Or, is this one worth using?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
does my ibook g4 need to get this update ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2Ghz i7 Late 2011 MBP: 16GB Ram 500GB Seagate XT HD
does my ibook g4 need to get this update ?

Well right from the apple website:

"Installation of Battery Update 1.2 requires Mac OS X 10.4.8 or later.

The Battery Update 1.2 supports the following products:

* MacBook
* MacBook (Late 2006)
* MacBook Pro (15-inch)
* MacBook Pro (15-inch Glossy)
* MacBook Pro (15-inch Core 2 Duo)
* MacBook Pro (17-inch)
* MacBook Pro (17-inch Core 2 Duo)"

Safe to say the battery update is not for the ibook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.33Ghz Core2Duo, 2Gb Ram, 120Gb HardDisk, X1600 256Mb & I LOVE Every Inch of her
how will number 3 happen?

That's exactly my qualm. It's so ambiguous.

After reading some reviews on the update, there's really no negative aspects to this update. One of three things can happen. One, your battery is relatively unaffected. Two, you get a performance boost. Three, your out of warranty battery is now eligible for a free replacement.

I'm gonna give it a try

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
The battery update has really messed with my battery readings. When I first updated, in situations where I used to get a 4-5 hour reading, now I'm getting 3-4. I just did a battery cycle last night and it's worse off than before. But I'm not freaking out because the battery still lasts me 4-5 hours despite the reading being wrong. Not sure what to do about this.

Oh, and Aaagogo, if you are out of warranty (as some of the CoreDuo owners would be right now) and your battery shows some of the negative symptoms Apple posted, then you would be eligible for a free battery replacement, despite being out of warranty.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The battery update has really messed with my battery readings. When I first updated, in situations where I used to get a 4-5 hour reading, now I'm getting 3-4. I just did a battery cycle last night and it's worse off than before. But I'm not freaking out because the battery still lasts me 4-5 hours despite the reading being wrong. Not sure what to do about this.

Oh, and Aaagogo, if you are out of warranty (as some of the CoreDuo owners would be right now) and your battery shows some of the negative symptoms Apple posted, then you would be eligible for a free battery replacement, despite being out of warranty.

My time remaining has dropped as well. It is rare to see 3 hours+ of remaining life fully charged now. This happened quite frequently before, but in practice, it only lasted about 2:30 under normal use. Light use was a different story. I am debating contacting Apple to ask for a replacement - I'm curious to see how they would react being that the battery is still usable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.