Battery Health Feature not working?

Reaction score
So I have a new MacBook Air 2020. I am charging it with the original 30W charger.
I updated to the new version of Catalina and left the battery health feature activated.
My MacBook Air is mostly plugged in. I was happy to see - at first- that the battery charges to 92 to 96% and stopped there. But when I leave it plugged in for a longer time, it always goes up to 100%.
I thought the battery health feature would learn my behavior (almost always plugged in) and prevent the charge from going up to 100%, even if the MacBook is plugged in for a long time.
I'd say it stays below 100% for 2-3 hrs and then goes up to 100%

Has anybody seen that?
Is that how it is supposed to work?
Any advice?

Much obliged.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
The way it is supposed to work, according to what I have read, is that it "learns" your behavior across time and adjusts accordingly. But it still goes to 100% so that when you want to go portable, it's fully charged. So, if you normally use it to, let's say, 11 pm, then let it sleep on charge overnight and wake it up at 8 AM for use again throughout the day until 11 pm again, it will "learn" to charge up overnight to that lower figure until just before 8 AM, then drive the charge up to 100% to start your work day. The system cannot "learn" when you might want to go on battery, it can only know what you are doing, that is, it knows when you have it awake and are using it. And for that time, the charge is kept at 100%. Does that help?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I thought the battery health feature would learn my behavior (almost always plugged in) and prevent the charge from going up to 100%, even if the MacBook is plugged in for a long time.
I'd say it stays below 100% for 2-3 hrs and then goes up to 100%

Has anybody seen that?

Check out this Apple document:

About Mac notebook batteries - Apple Support

If you scroll almost to the bottom...you will see this section:

My battery won't charge to 100%

Occasionally, the battery might not show a full charge (100%) in macOS, even after the power adapter has been connected for an extended period of time. The battery might appear to stop charging between 93 percent and 99 percent. This behavior is normal and will help to prolong the overall life of the battery.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
N
Reaction score
The way it is supposed to work, according to what I have read, is that it "learns" your behavior across time and adjusts accordingly. But it still goes to 100% so that when you want to go portable, it's fully charged. So, if you normally use it to, let's say, 11 pm, then let it sleep on charge overnight and wake it up at 8 AM for use again throughout the day until 11 pm again, it will "learn" to charge up overnight to that lower figure until just before 8 AM, then drive the charge up to 100% to start your work day. The system cannot "learn" when you might want to go on battery, it can only know what you are doing, that is, it knows when you have it awake and are using it. And for that time, the charge is kept at 100%. Does that help?
Yes, thank you! It does!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.