Battery fault after repair? (MacBook Air 2017, 13-inch.)

Reaction score
Last November, I spilled a small amount of water over my laptop. I brought it into a repair store who cleaned the motherboard and reassembled the laptop. I do not know whether there was any damage in the first place, I brought it in as a precaution. When picking up the laptop, the technician told me my model had a fault, and I can not let the battery run out, otherwise the laptop needs to be taken apart and reassembled. I have followed his advice so far to not take any risk, but now I am not so sure if this is actually real. Does anyone have any experience with this?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

Spills are unpredictable as far as causing internal damage to a computer. This is especially true over a long period of time because of corrosion.

If your MacBook Air is functioning normally, there is no point in taking things apart which may in fact cause problems. Just keep using it as is and if it does develop a problem later on, then you can have it looked at by an Apple Authorized Service Provider. (AASP)

OP
B
Reaction score
Thank you for your answer! I have no plans to take it apart, I am just wondering if it is true that I cannot let the battery run out (which is what the technician told me).

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have no idea why the tech said what he said unless he thought the circuitry which interacts with the logic that charges the battery was damaged from the spill.

Does the battery charge normally as it should?

OP
B
Reaction score
I have no idea why the tech said what he said unless he thought the circuitry which interacts with the logic that charges the battery was damaged from the spill.

Does the battery charge normally as it should?
yes, it works perfectly. Generally, the whole device works normal.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Then, don't worry about it. Just keep using your MacBook Air and be careful not to spill anything on it. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
What is wrong with never letting the battery run down completely?

Or, more importantly, why do you feel the need to run down the battery completely? This destroys battery health and longevity.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.