Battery Drains at night

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M2 16GB Memory Apple M2 Chip, Somona
My wife's early 2011 Laptop running Sierra had battery drain problem at night after lid is closed ( sleep mode ) then next morning I see drain by 30%... I open Activity Monitor, What do I look for in CPU or ??
Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Download the free "Coconut Battery" application and run it on her MacBook Pro to see what the condition of the battery is. Post the screenshot here for us to look at.

OP
Dittoman1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, she opened up Coconut Battery, noticed the battery lost another 15%...so its on charged now and when its 100% then will unplug charger and wait2 to 3 hours, will post the results. IS that the way u want or
u want it send with in 10 min?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That will be OK Ron. Let her get it fully charged first and then let's see what Coconut Battery tells us.

OP
Dittoman1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Ron:

It looks like that battery is approaching the end of its life. Apple says that it should get 1000 cycles of charge-recharge and it appears that it has 1598 cycles on it. You might want to keep an eye on it and maybe think about replacing it. A new battery for a 2011 MacBook Pro can be had from a third party supplier or eBay. Apple no longer has batteries for that year model as it is more than 6 years old.

You might want to take a look at www.macsales.com to see if they have a battery for it. And like I said, you can find them on eBay but the quality of some of those batteries is questionable. But if you can get one cheap enough and it lasts 2 years, then it might be OK. Or, don't even bother with a battery replacement and just use it on AC power all the time. But like I said, keep an eye on that battery to make sure it is not swelling.

OP
Dittoman1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Ron:

It looks like that battery is approaching the end of its life. Apple says that it should get 1000 cycles of charge-recharge and it appears that it has 1598 cycles on it. You might want to keep an eye on it and maybe think about replacing it. A new battery for a 2011 MacBook Pro can be had from a third party supplier or eBay. Apple no longer has batteries for that year model as it is more than 6 years old.

You might want to take a look at www.macsales.com to see if they have a battery for it. And like I said, you can find them on eBay but the quality of some of those batteries is questionable. But if you can get one cheap enough and it lasts 2 years, then it might be OK. Or, don't even bother with a battery replacement and just use it on AC power all the time. But like I said, keep an eye on that battery to make sure it is not swelling.

I. had a feeling its the age of the battery then u mention it, for **** she ll leave it plug all the time or I might replace it myself, will check tube
Charlie, Thanks for quick reply

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
OP
Dittoman1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Puurrrfect, Bob
Thanks and I think I ll do it since its not so bad..

OP
Dittoman1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I replaced my wife's laptop with new battery, works like charm
Thank You for all replies I got

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
The batteries were designed for 1,000 recharge cycles so you got your money's worth from that one. Fingers crossed this one and I hope it was an Apple battery? So of the knock offs will last maybe a hundred cycles.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.