Battery down to 0 in morning

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M2 16GB Memory Apple M2 Chip, Somona
Screen Shot 2020-07-10 at 11.45.20 AM.jpeg This is what my wife have on laptop, High Sierra, she always have problem when close for night, unplug power cord and battery is dead in morning, Something must be running all night?? I just open Activity Monitor and will check it in morning, want to ask what should I look for that is running when not shut down, just close the lid with nothing on screen...Her battery cycle count is only 29.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
So she's closing the lid, but then disconnecting the power? In that case, the Mac is still doing housekeeping functions, running in the background, so it depletes the battery. Just leave it plugged in. Or shut it down properly, not just close the lid. Either one of those approaches should make the problem go away.

EDIT: You might get coconutbattery and run it to see the health of the battery. That machine is now 9 years old and the battery may have decayed significantly.

OP
Dittoman1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So she's closing the lid, but then disconnecting the power? In that case, the Mac is still doing housekeeping functions, running in the background, so it depletes the battery. Just leave it plugged in. Or shut it down properly, not just close the lid. Either one of those approaches should make the problem go away.

EDIT: You might get coconutbattery and run it to see the health of the battery. That machine is now 9 years old and the battery may have decayed significantly.
Yes I was using coconut battery, said its good. You mean her laptop should be shut down everynight ?? She shut down everything to home screen then shut the lid like I do, mine is fine but hers is not. would Activity Monitor help??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
What percentage was the battery at when it was unplugged? How does your wife "shut down" everything? Just because you see the home screen, that does not mean all the apps are closed/quit.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Closing the lid will put he computer to sleep. Your computer has Power Nap, an option you can enable/disable in Energy Saver, which will wake it up when the lid is closed to do routine things.

My 2019 MBP will lost up to 10% of battery over night if not charged.

There is no harm in keeping the MBP plugged in overnight.

OP
Dittoman1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What percentage was the battery at when it was unplugged? How does your wife "shut down" everything? Just because you see the home screen, that does not mean all the apps are closed/quit.
100% full then using command Q to quit whatever on then unplug power cord then closed lid, that is what she does. she is afraid of fire so wants to unplug it nightly

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
During the day time, with the Mac fully charged, unplug the battery and see note the rate of discharge. Assuming its on the original battery, it's 9 years old and likely on its way out. Assuming you want to keep the Mac for a while, you'll likely want to replace the battery.

A normal Mac would not go from 100% to 0% overnight with the lid closed, it might lose a few percentage (I'd reckon at most 10%), but nothing more.

OP
Dittoman1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
During the day time, with the Mac fully charged, unplug the battery and see note the rate of discharge. Assuming its on the original battery, it's 9 years old and likely on its way out. Assuming you want to keep the Mac for a while, you'll likely want to replace the battery.

A normal Mac would not go from 100% to 0% overnight with the lid closed, it might lose a few percentage (I'd reckon at most 10%), but nothing more.
Bad or cheap battery that was installed when she bought the rebuild ones, Coconut battery shows only 29 cycle. Usually she kept the plug on all the time til she read something about fire.. scares her.. You make sense about battery... now I m not sure if its really original I will do a test during day time like u said and see how fast it goes down
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cycles are only part of the life of a battery. coconutbattery will show you, for example, how much the capacity is, that is, how large a charge it can hold. Age is a factor. All li-ion batteries being to decay two years after they are manufactured. Decay is slow at first, accelerates over time. Cheap batteries tend to decay faster.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, but not in the sense of how they age/react to cycles/etc. It is the Lithium chemistry that produces the electricity that governs the aging.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
There can only be two possibilities, either something is using the charge or the charge is not being retained by the battery.
My money is on the battery. Try turning the device off over night and unplugged. I would be interested to see what the battery level is in the morning. If there has been significant loss of charge that would indicate that the battery is shot.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.