Battery care

Reaction score
My 2009 macbook when I got it still had and does have a good battery.

I installed battery guard and it gives me an extra rating of percentage of the original capacity.

well it started at 80% of original capacity.

I use my mac on battery until about 10% or just under then plug in.
once charged i unplug and not have prolonged time charged and plugged in.

according to battery guard with me doing this I now have 90.1% of original capacity.

I tell all our customers at work to treat batteries in this manner.

It seems to help with battery life.

How do you guys treat your batteries?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Battery care questions used to be a fairly frequent topic here on Mac-Forums…but not so much the past (jeez) couple years. I think that Apple is doing such a great job with longer battery runtimes & more charge cycles…folks aren't as concerned about batteries as much as they used to.:)

I'm not familiar with the app "Battery Guard". But looked it up to see what the app description says. It says that it's just a battery monitoring tool…not supposed to do any sort of "enhancing". We used to recommend folks use an app (for battery monitoring/battery health) called "Coconut Battery".

Here's Apple's official stance regarding battery care:

http://www.apple.com/batteries/maximizing-performance/

- Nick

p.s. Battery questions used to be so frequent…I added a link in my signature to more info. If you click on the "Battery" link in my signature…you will get 7 more links to battery info.:)

OP
E
Reaction score
I did search battery in the search but not find what i wanted.

Yes battery guard only a monitor but it showing my battery has gained a little health by draining fully and recharging.

I know technology has got better but still always on charge cannot be good for them.

Will check your links later as on my android phone at min.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know technology has got better but still always on charge cannot be good for them.

This is almost exactly what I do. Maybe 1-2 times/month I run my portables on battery power to about 50-75%. Supposed to be good to let the electrons travel in the other direction for a while. Been doing this for years…and everythings good to go on my end.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
My 2009 macbook when I got it still had and does have a good battery.

I installed battery guard and it gives me an extra rating of percentage of the original capacity.

well it started at 80% of original capacity.

I use my mac on battery until about 10% or just under then plug in.
once charged i unplug and not have prolonged time charged and plugged in.

according to battery guard with me doing this I now have 90.1% of original capacity.....

How do you guys treat your batteries?

Nick has already given you some great information and the links in his signature provide further details - if not done, take a look!

Also, you're trying to 'over think' this battery issue, i.e. should the computer be constantly plugged into AC vs. intermittent complete exhuastations of the battery w/ recharging? How do 'cycles' enter into the picture?

Likely, a number of different approaches can be used which will produce similar results - my MBPro is now just over 3 years old, initially I would discharge the battery near completely (maybe for a year and a half), then I decided to simply leave the laptop on AC power w/ a complete discharge about once a month to recalibrate the battery's monitoring system - not sure that there is much difference?

I have two battery apps on my laptop, i.e. Coconut Battery (already mentioned) & Battery Health - just ran both which showed 226 cycles & 87% battery health (first image below); now if you run a system report, the same information can be obtained by simply knowing the original mAh of your battery (see my second image below) - the apps are simply reading the information already available through the report shown.

Now, the current Apple laptop batteries should provide about 80% residual charge after 500 cycles, and should be good for nearly twice that many (check this Apple LINK for details) - NOW, for a computer from 2009, you seem to be doing quite well - what you need to tell us is how many cycles has that battery seen? Simplest way is to go the the Apple in the left upper menu bar -> About This Mac -> System Report - then select 'Power' (as in my second image) - Dave :)

Screen Shot 2016-05-26 at 2.36.23 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-05-26 at 2.30.25 PM.png

M

MacInWin

I did search battery in the search but not find what i wanted.

Yes battery guard only a monitor but it showing my battery has gained a little health by draining fully and recharging.
LiIon batteries do not want, need or like a deep discharge. That shortens the battery life. You used to need to do that with NiCad and NiMH batteries, but the chemistry in lithium batteries is entirely different. The only reason Apple suggests a periodic deep discharge is to recalibrate the battery monitoring system, not for the health of the battery. So don't do deep discharges. I'll put more on why at the end of the post for those who want to know.

Will check your links later as on my android phone at min.
Actually, LiIon batteries thrive on being on charge all the time. I had a battery in a MBP that after 5 years, almost all on the mains power, still had 96% of capacity. The reason it was so long-lived was that in that 5 years it only had about 30 deep cycles and was on mains most of the time.

TREATMENT OF LiION BATTERIES

Lithium batteries have two factors in their life: age and cycles. LiION batteries start to age as soon as they are built. Over time the capacity of the battery declines, but for the first 2 years after manufacture, the decline is very, very small. After two years the falloff starts to increase but still the decline is relatively slow. However, even if you babied the battery, doing everything perfectly, it would still show some decrease in capacity after two years and a slow decline after that.

The bigger factor is cycles. A "cycle" is an exercise of a battery from fully charged to fully depleted and back to fully charged. Typical LiION batteries will tolerate about 1,000 cycles, some more, some less. Technology is always improving, so more modern Li batteries can handle more cycles than older ones. Nevertheless, all of them will decay as the cycle build up. What is hardest is to take the battery below about 60% charge. Partial cycles add up, not linearly, but relatively close. So two cycles to 50% and back to full equal about one full discharge cycle. Similarly 10 90% cycles are also about the equivalent of a full cycle. So, doing some math, if you do a deep cycle every day and your battery has about 1000 cycles in it before you have a large decline in capacity, then you get 1000 days, or 2.7 years or so out of the battery. But if you shorten the cycles to staying above 50%, that extends to 5.4 years of daily use. So, keep it on mains whenever you can, don't drive it deeply unless you absolutely have to and the battery will tick over quite nicely for a very long time.

The "optimum" cycle rate for Lithium batteries is about 80%, no lower. That's almost like no cycle at all, as far as the battery is concerned.

As I said earlier, the reason Apple suggests a full cycle monthly is to calibrate their monitoring circuits, not the battery. You can do that if you want, but you don't really have to. When you do need a full cycle, the calibration will take place and you'll be good to go.

Hope that helped.

OP
E
Reaction score
thanks guys.

My toshiba laptop if plugged in most the time which it was at first the battery only lasted 15 mins after 9-12 months of this.

bought new battery and did discharge and recharge and 2 years on it still lasts 5 hours of the original 7 (9 cell battery)

my macbook has the original battery and 288 cycles, still going strong :)

You have all answered my questions and more.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
my macbook has the original battery and 288 cycles, still going strong :)

You have all answered my questions and more.

As you can see. Some of our members have participated in these battery discussions before;)…and are well prepared to answer when these questions pop up every now & then!:)

- Nick

p.s. Wanted to mention that much of this pertains to lithium-ion battery's. Older technology battery's are a different matter.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
My 2011 MacBook Pro just turned 5 this past February. It has been used heavily, with very little care given to how long it stays on or off the charger. In fact, I'd say 90% of its life has been on the charger. These are my battery stats as of today:

00000380.png

I'd say that's a pretty good testimony to our oft-repeated mantra of "just use your Macbook the way you want to and don't worry about the battery, it'll be fine".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 16 inch 2,6Ghz I7 - MacPro 5,1 3,2Ghz-6Core Xeon
A Macbook battery is truly amazing, They last a very long time, I started using coconut battery last august to track the health. It has only increased and my Macbook is 6 years old now ! Very pleased :D Screen Shot 2016-05-28 at 18.18.07.png Screen Shot 2016-05-28 at 18.17.57.png

OP
E
Reaction score
installed coconut battery....

if it's info is correct then in only 3 days not draining my battery I lost 2.5% battery health.

could be a failing battery but I will treat my battery like my toshiba and drian it before charging it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
if it's info is correct then in only 3 days not draining my battery I lost 2.5% battery health.

Are both of these data points over the past three days been while the battery is at 100% charge?

If not…remember. If the battery is unplugged & the computer is sleeping or shut down…battery power is being consumed.

- Nick

OP
E
Reaction score
I am using the macbook as normal.

It does not go to sleep I disabled that.

my battery seems not to like to be on charge all the time.

we recommend to our customers at work to run their laptops on battery and run down once a week or more.

we get many customers with dud batteries and every one of them run it plugged in all the time.

yes nick if plugged in all the time while in use battery health has been lost.
as posted here it should be ok.

however now I have returned to my run down then charge like it did with my toshiba and asus it is slowly regaining the lost with each cycle.
Max I have ever had is 92% but for a 6.2 year old battery is bloody good

M

MacInWin

Here is a link to an article from a battery manufacturer. Note table 2 in the article, and this paragraph: Battery University

The question is asked, “Should I disconnect my laptop from the power grid when not in use?” Under normal circumstances this should not be necessary because charging stops when the Li-ion battery is full. A topping charge is only applied when the battery voltage drops to a certain level. Most users do not remove the AC power, and this practice is safe.

But do what you think you need to do, it's your system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I am using the macbook as normal.

It does not go to sleep I disabled that.

Well, does that practice really make much of a difference?

my battery seems not to like to be on charge all the time.

What do you mean by this statement & what assessments have you made to prove that theory? Many of us leave our laptops on power constantly w/ the occasional discharge - this will reduce the accumulation of 'cycles' which should prolong battery life, to my thinking?

we get many customers with dud batteries and every one of them run it plugged in all the time.

Have you kept customer statistics to even prove the above statement? I doubt that is true - you need some backup facts to convince me, sorry.

Again, as I said earlier, you are really 'over thinking' this whole issue and likely confusing your customers - I would be confused if told some of these 'in my mind' contradictory advice - Dave :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.