Batch deleting photos

Reaction score
I am trying to get to grips with the new Photos app,so far I've really liked it.But today I decided to have a prune of unnecessary photos especially as I am paying for space on icloud.Having selected a number of photos by command-clicking as usual I went to Image only to find I was only offered the option to hide or duplicate! Surely you don't have to delete each one individually? Or am I missing something?
Also,I am a bit confused by icloud itself. I have my Photos app set in Preferences to download originals to my mac as I have plenty of room,but on my iphone and ipad I have it set to optimise storage to save space. So if I delete photos from iphone will they also disappear from my mac? or are they permanently stored there as originals?At the moment the upload to icloud form my mac is ongoing.....seems to be taking a while!
Anyone else having a confusing time?:Confused:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.