basic question about transferring info

Reaction score
almost embarrassed to ask but... I have a MacBook from 2009. Getting a new one. I want to copy my documents, music and photos onto the new one. I have a portable drive. Docs was easy -- copy all docs onto the drive. For music do I simply copy the iTunes folder and for photos simply copy the iPhoto Library? This will copy all my music -- including playlists and all of my photos -including events, albums, projects etc? Thanks

Reaction score
Easy way...
Enable Time Machine. Do a backup to the external.
Plug external into new mac. When you start it do not create a user, select restore from backup, or words to that effect.
You'll be right back where you started except on a new machine.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks Craig (and love the Schwinn logo!) Put if I've already copied what I stated onto my external, will that give me everything I need- songs, playlists, all of my photos - including events, albums, projects etc? Thanks

Reaction score
Music, yes.
iPhoto stuff, don't know, don't use it. Don't care for it.
Should though. Just don't delete the originals until sure.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yes, a restore from a Time Machine backup will restore the new computer to exactly the same place as the old computer. Passwords, pictures, bookmarks, documents, iTunes, mail, preferences, etc.

And why, if you've been doing much reading for the past year around here, you've heard most of us preach over and over again - make backups either using Time Machine &/or making bootable clones with CCC or SD!.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.