Bad tasting apple

Reaction score
I have never used an apple computer before but on the advice of many friends decided to make the switch.

I ordered a custom 27" Imac with 8GB on March 4th. It arrived on March 11th. I tried to connect it to my router for 2 hours before giving up and calling Apple. She tried to walk me though the steps and discovered my Airport card was missing or disconnected. She told me to run it up to the Apple store and they could fix it within 15 minutes. I took it to the store and they quickly looked and agreed that it Airport card was a problem. They told me it would take 2 to 4 days to repair it. On March 14th they called me and told me the Airport card is damaged and would take another 5 to 7 days to get one sent to them.

I called Customer Care and spoke to a manager on March 11th to see if this could be expedited since I just spent 2,500.00. He said he would look in to it and see if he could and perhaps compensate me in some other manner. He said he would call me back within 24 hours.

I still haven't heard from him and left a few messages. Is this common in the Mac world. Should I just return it and go back to a PC?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac
I had my fair share of issues when I first bought my Mac as well, but I had a worse issue that you did, they had to replace the computer 2x by the time the year was out, and it took them longer than they said it would originally take. But I am glad I had my patience with them. Macs are good computers, all dpending on what you're using them for of course. I am a switcher myself, and I still do run Windows 7 on a Bootcamp partition, but OSX is my preferred operating system due to how easy it is to use, and how intuitive it is. Hold in there, the $2500 is well spent in the long-run.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, Power Mac G4, iMac G3, iPhone 3GS
This is highly uncommon. If it's a big trouble in the end, just tell the calmly and politely and there's a very, very good chance that they'll make it up to you in a BIG way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Octo 2.8Ghz / Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz
I picked up a 24inch imac from the refurb store recently ( which I didn't keep )
and it arrived with horrible finger/glue marks "behind" the front glass.
They collected it promptly, made HUGE apologies and offered me £50 off any other purchase from the refurb store.
I got a used quad mac pro instead ( see my upgrade post ) but I found their
support to be first class.
They also helped me last year "in store" with an old MBP and did a complete
re-install for me ( as I didn't have suitable disks ) for free.

Hang in their, I'm sure it will be worth it.

MM.

Reaction score
If it wasnt a custom job you "or I would have" asked for another computer.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Should I just return it and go back to a PC?

If you can tolerate Windows, that's what I'd do. The Mac is great and all, but unless you have a compelling reason to switch, it's a lot of trouble to go to just to appease your friends. With that said, if you bought a Mac looking for something different and have an open mind to it, it can be very rewarding.

It's unfortunate, but occasionally all manufacturers make a dud. And what's really unfortunate is that you bought a custom build. Otherwise, they probably would have just swapped it on the spot. If you do decide to stick with it, I think you'll find that Apple takes care of you. I would certainly complain (directly to Apple Customer Service, over the phone - not the store) about the lead time to replace the machine and see what they'll do to compensate you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I see very few stories like this one (on forums). I'm confident that Apple will make it right in the end. As someone said, patience and politeness will win the day. Please let us know how it progresses.

C

chas_m

I just wanted to second the notion that this is HIGHLY (as in REALLY REALLY) unusual. If things aren't pretty much perfect when you collect the machine, politely but firmly insist on a replacement.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G4 MDD 1.5 GHZ (OC) 1.25 GB Ubuntu and Leopard INTEL SUCK IT!!
Yes, very unlikely and unlucky. i can't stand windows so I had to switch. Never again for me. If you get past the learning curve and everything, I'd suggest a Bootcamp install for you to help migrate. Hope you get the situation sorted out.

OP
Taylor810
Reaction score
I called customer service and spoke with a different manager. I was polite and basically asked if there was any way of express shipping an airport card to the store for the repair. He told me to be patient and when I get the computer back it would be like new. I bit my tongue since the computer was only in my possession for 2 hours. I thanked him and ended the call. The following day the first manager called me back and apologized for not getting back to me sooner. I didn't even bring up the other manager. He said he would keep on it and once I had it back and it was working properly he would see what he could do for me.

Reply to previous post: I didn't buy a Mac to appease my friends. I just felt they were better quality. I'm not going to run windows on this for at least a few months. I am going to force myself to learn the Mac software and I purchased the One To One training. I am already impressed speaking to the customer service reps, it's nice speaking to someone that is fluent in English. Toshiba has been a nightmare to deal with.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
Your problems really aren't with apple products, more the customer service of one particular store. Repairs take time, for PC's and Macs. You should try getting service from Dell if you want bad!

LOL

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Yes I'm glad you got some service. And a little politeness with Apple staff goes a long way. And most times they very rare issues people have with their Apple products ate fixed. Yeah hope you're ok with it all now.

And try ringing up acer or dell for to complain. Even in your really polite it does no good. Last time a mate rang up dell for something the Dell staff person told him "nothing can be done and goodbye." So in others works it's a polite way of being told to GTFO and stop bothering us. So really if you are destined to have a computer issue, pray to whatever god you believe in that your issue is with an Apple. Cause that's the only way you'll get some decent service.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.