Backup Questions & Issue

OP
H
Reaction score
Thanks for all the assistance Slydude, Ian and MacInWin.
Will plod on from here and take the necessary precautions.

OP
H
Reaction score
Have successfully backed to to second EHD, one at a time.
Is it possible to back up with both EHD simultaneously ?
am using usb connections only.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@Hazoss,

Well done, congratulations.

You can't backup (BU) simultaneously; but what you can do, — and indeed the OS is designed for this — is connect both EHDs to your iMac and use the Time Machine icon within System Preferences to set up both EHDs as Time Machine drives.

Then what happens is that the Time Machine BU alternates between the two EHDs; in the background and with no need of thought or input from you.

(Additionally, at any time between BUs, if you feel the need, you can click on the Time Machine icon in the top menu bar and click on "Back Up Now" from the dropdown).

Come back if any of that is unclear or need any sort of help.

Ian

OP
H
Reaction score
Thanks Ian, I authorised both EHDs through System Preferences but not connected them both at once yet.
I usually wait for the BU reminders before I initiate back up, I cannot leave EHDs connected at all times.
Will see how it goes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.