Backup problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac with OS X 10.11.2 -16GB memory
I have an external HD for backup.
My computer is old and running Safari 5 which is no longer supported by Apple nor some sites. Because of this I occasionally use Firefox.
I am planning on replacing my computer very soon.

To save book marks when using Firefox I had to set up separate bookmark folders for Firefox.

I checked my External backup HD to be sure it is backing up everything. It is saving the files and bookmarks created using Safari but I could NOT find the bookmarks or files in Time Machine that were created using Firefox . I named them differently so I would recognize them in the event they became merged with my Safari bookmarks and files

My external HD is supposed to back up everything. What am I doing wrong ?

I need to be sure everything is backed up so I can transfer it to the new computer or god-forbid the HD crashes before I get the new computer.

Thanks !
Barbara

C

chas_m

Where is this folder of Firefox bookmarks stored normally?

Why not export the bookmarks and put them on a thumb drive as an alternative backup?

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac with OS X 10.11.2 -16GB memory
I am not sure what you mean by where is the Firefox bookmark folder stored.

When I am using Firefox the bookmarks are in "Bookmarks " on the menu bar just as they are in the Safari menu bar .

I use "Command + D" to save the link to bookmarks in either case, but the only ones showing when I look in Time Machine are the Safari bookmarks . It appears the Firefox book marks are not being backed up.

I checked my address book and that is being backed up in Time Machine with the names and info exactly as it appears in my address book .

However, the bookmark list from Time Machine only shows some letters and numbers not the names I gave to the bookmarks when I saved them so I would have no way of knowing which bookmark(s) I am seeing on the list

I think I am missing something here .
Barbara

P.S. If I save just the Firefox bookmarks to a Thumb Drive can I then transfer them to the new computer after I transfer all the stuff from the external back up to the new computer?

Reaction score
Barbara, I have a feeling that when you say you check your external backup, you are doing so by "Entering" Time Machine. I believe that when Entering Time Machine, only apps that are Time Machine aware will show you the effect of going back in time. Firefox is likely not one of these. As long as Time Machine backups are completing without error, on a file level, all your stuff is being backed up. When you do a restore, everything, including your most recent Firefox bookmarks, will be as it was at the time of the last backup.

M

MacInWin

Barbara, I don't use FF, but somewhere on your system is a file that has all of your bookmarks in it. As ron4mac says, if your backups are going along with no errors, when you restore, that file should be restored and you will have your bookmarks back. IF you want extra security, you can do as chas_m suggested and export the bookmarks to a thumb drive periodically (or even to the Time Machine external drive, in a separate folder from the backup files, if you want).

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Try the following and you should be able to find your Firefox bookmarks and restore them using Time Machine:

1. Find your Firefox profile folder. You can find directions for doing that here. It is in the Library folder that is inside your user folder.
2. Once you have the profile folder open launch Time Machine. Time Machine will now show its backups of your Firefox profile folder.
3. Use the tick marks to select the date you want to use as the restore point. Click restore.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.