Backup ipod 4.2.1 before 5.0?

Reaction score
The battery on my 3rd gen ipod touch 64GB is on its last legs but still under warranty with best buy. I don't know if they will give me a new ipod or fix the current one. I did a backup of my current ipod and was going to do a restore in case they give me a new unit but...it seems I have to upgrade to the latest software to do a restore. I really don't want to put 5.0 on my 3rd gen ipod if they are going to fix the battery. Is there a way to backup 4.2.1 before I download 5.0? Is there a way to do a restore without updating to 5.0? If there is, and I end up with a new ipod will my old apps go on the new one when I sync it? Hopefully these questions will make sense to someone.

Cheers, John

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
If you have everything set to sync each time you connect, then it will automatically transfer to the iPod when you have restored it, yes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
You should definitely backup your iPod before taking it to them, however, if they replace it, the new unit will most likely come with 5.0.1 preinstalled, and there will be no way to downgrade it back to 4.2.1.

When I first got my iPad, I was stuck with a tethered jailbreak for a couple months. I don't remember needing to reboot it a single time after my Cydia apps were installed, so I don't think a tethered JB on an iPod would be the end of the world. Aside from the times that your faulty battery goes completely dead, how often do you actually reboot the device? My iPhone seems to need the occasional reboot to keep the 3G up to speed, but never the WiFi iPad.

OP
S
Reaction score
Is there a way to backup the 4.2.1 so that I could go back to it after putting 5.0 on? The only way I can take my info off the ipod touch is to do a restore and the only way I can do that is if I update to the latest 5.0 or whatever is currently available. Even if they only end up replacing the battery I don't want my personal stuff on there while they fix it or send it away. Also, correct me if I am wrong but my understanding is that the white 64GB ipod comes with 5.0 while the black ones from last year have the older software.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
If you have your SHSH blobs backed up with Cydia on your device, you can restore to 4.2.1 or upgrade to 5.0 then downgrade back to 4.2.1. What you can't do is get a new device that never had 4.2.1 on it and then downgrade. If it was never jailbroken before 5.0, then you can't go below that.

You can also use The Firmware Umbrella - TinyUmbrella to save your blobs. I recommend saving them with both The Firmware Umbrella and Cydia. If one method fails, then you can still try the other.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks Jay. I was always too afraid to jailbreak. Best Buy did a restore on it at the store and then they gave me a new iPod 4.3.5(8L1). It's nice to have a new iPod but honestly the battery doesn't last any longer than the old 2008 one. I've turned off push and location but it's still not great. I thought it was just 5.0 that had the battery issues.

Cheers, John

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.