Backup Encryption on Time Machine

Reaction score
In Time Machine I back up to an external Hard Drive. It indicates '4.57gb encrypted' in the Time Machine backup add or remove window right now. (This sometimes changes). The HD is 300gb and I back up about 210gb from my Macbook Air (OsX.85). Is the whole 210gb actually encrypted or only 4.75gb? Can someone clarify this for me please? Also, does the encryption use up much more space and take much longer to backup?
Advise gratefully received. Paul

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Are you using FileVault 2 encryption for your Time Machine backups? If so, then the entire backup is encrypted not just the amount which was backed up in that particular session. And yes, using encryption will lengthen the backup process.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thank you. I am not using File Vault. I just want to click the box next to 'encrypt backup' in Time Machine. I believe there is a different process between the two encryption methods, but do not understand it. Is it that the former encrypts all the data and therefore requires extra space and time whereas the latter just passwords the initial access?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Basically as I understand the difference between the two methods, and there's a difference between FileVault and FileVault 2, is FileVault encrypts the working volume, while Time Machine encryption just encrypts the Time Machine backup.

You can find some understandable info about it here:
How to encrypt your Time Machine backups | MacIssues

I will add that unless it's really needed, large scale encryption is often overkill for most users and can be s l o o o w.

As an alternative, one can use any of the encryption utilities to protect just some small files or folders rather than all one's data and even Disk Utility can be used to setup such encrypted folders as encrypted disks.

Just a thought… ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.