Backing up

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a question about using Google Drive to backup my MacBook Air.

Currently I have one folder on my MBA filled with dozens of other folders and thousands of various files that change often, it's about 5 GB in size.

I use Time Machine to backup my entire compute to an external drive. Second, I use multiple thumb drives (a few stored off site) to backup the important folder.

I recently added one additional method, I've been using my Google Drive space to remotely store that one important directory. The only problem with this method is that I change so many files inside of the directory that I can't remember what has been changed, so my best option is to delete the folder that was previously uploaded to Google Drive and re-upload the current one. That can take a lot of time.

So I am assuming that if I install the Google Drive app on my MBA (currently I use it through the browser) I can use the "Sync" feature to backup my important directory to Google Drive automatically.

Does this sound like a reasonable backup solution? Does Google Drive's app do a good job of finding updated files and uploading them to the cloud?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
(I haven't used Google drive...)
Given that you are using a multiple backup media strategy (which seems good to me), I think it's worth a try.
Only thing I'd be cautious of - how often does Google drive/sync run, and how much "might" it slow down your Mac.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

I am concerned with what you mention, whether Google Drive will slow down my system. Also, whether it is secure and reliable enough to be used as a backup solution?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The only problem with this method is that I change so many files inside of the directory that I can't remember what has been changed, so my best option is to delete the folder that was previously uploaded to Google Drive and re-upload the current one. That can take a lot of time.
I'm a little confused by this. Are you looking to have a Time Machine style backup online? In other words, are you looking to see what a particular file might have looked like at different times? You can view versions of files by following the directions here.

OP
C
Reaction score
No, I am not looking to be able to see older versions of files.

I want something that does an incremental backup.

By backing up manually to Google Drive, I have to move the entire folder every time I backup because I am not sure exactly what has changed since the last time I backed it up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.