backing up macbook pro

Reaction score
ok ... so here's the dumb question

how do i go about backing up my mac so that it has the os, word, etc. in case the worst happens? I keep reading someone's closing about backing up to a bootable usb thumb drive .. ?? huh??

obviously, i'm one of those users who just goes along in the dark ... fortunately nothing's happened so far

please advise

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Multiple possibilities:

- You can use a program like Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) or Super Duper. Both of these apps make a copy of everything on your HD.
- You can use Apple's Time Machine utility.

Both solutions require an exterior storage device of some sort. You could use a regular external HD…or I guess you could use a USB thumb drive.

- Finally you could backup to the "Cloud"…and online backup/storage site.

* Nick

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3/8GB, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running El Capitan
I have an Apple Time Capsule which I use to backup two Macbooks. It works in the background, over wifi and saves your data every hour.

If you are not massively computer minded then I can recommend this as very easy way of backing up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
there's no harm in having both

I use TM (for incremental back ups) and SuperDuper! to make a bootable back up once a week or so

Both are easy though but as dbm states TM is the easiest solution - just buy an external hard drive, plug it in and follow the instructions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.