Backing Up Hard Drive over Network

OP
M

MoltenLava

On a 100mbps network, you can practically expect 20-30mbps, which is 3-4MB per sec. How long do you plan to keep both computers talking while you make the backup? 10GB will take about an hour.

OP
V

vuschejan

MoltenLava said:
On a 100mbps network, you can practically expect 20-30mbps, which is 3-4MB per sec. How long do you plan to keep both computers talking while you make the backup? 10GB will take about an hour.
I want to do the entire drive, and im willing to leave them on for 3 hours to let it do the full 30 gig drive.

OP
V

vuschejan

Allright, so i have write to the drive but when I try to make an image on the drive it tells me its busy, Or if i try to copy everything on my hard drive on to it it says I dont have the permissions but, Im logged in as root and I have permission to read/write to it.

OP
M

MoltenLava

If I were you, I would back up my files to a CDR, assuming you have at least combo drive.

Backing up entire drive is pointless. You can't recreate bootable disk out of file backup. You want to back up the data that you don't want to lose, mp3, photos, etc.

OP
V

VastDeathmaster

vuschejan said:
How do I back my hard drive up over a network onto a windows computer?

Are you using your Airport card, or are you directly connected to your network

OP
T

tariq

do you have space on your current hard drive? just use ccc and save it on your hard drive, then move it to another computer/hard drive using your network (i havent used ccc, but i assume this would work)

OP
V

vuschejan

tariq said:
do you have space on your current hard drive? just use ccc and save it on your hard drive, then move it to another computer/hard drive using your network (i havent used ccc, but i assume this would work)
I think Ive got it to work a different way... Im not exactly sure how to explain how I did it though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.