Background items - can't remove from list?

Reaction score
I installed the CleanMyMac X demo and after messing with it for a few minutes, I uninstalled it using AppCleaner but it still has a listing for 2 items in the Login Items -> Allow in the background list. I've turned that off but how do I remove the listing?
I've searched for it using Spotlight but nothing is found.

Also, there is another item in there called "Luxoft Professional Ooo". I have no idea what that is and I don't even remember installing anything called that!
How do I remove that too?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Ideally, it would have been best if you had used (if available) the Uninstaller from CleanMyMac (CMM).

However, AppCleaner is an excellent app.

To search for, and eradicate, the "bits" left behind, you should consider downloading the free App - FindAnyFile from here:

And also consider the EasyFind app:

On the FindAnyFile website, as above, you will see how to use it to weed out the scruff left behind.

This would also apply to "Luxoft Professional Ooo". Give these a shot (especially FAF) and post back.

Ian

OP
H
Reaction score
Thx!
I downloaded these apps and deleted what was left of CMM, rebooted but it's still there. I emailed support but the poor guys are in Ukraine so they have their own problems!
The Luxoft thing is nowhere to be seen. It just doesn't appear on any searches, root-level or otherwise.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Also, there is another item in there called "Luxoft Professional Ooo". I have no idea what that is and I don't even remember installing anything called that!
How do I remove that too?

A quick Google search doesn't seem to show any association between the two items, and I would suggest are completely separate.

I am very surprised that Find Any File, can't find anything containing "Luxoft", but maybe try adding another filter to the name contains search.
Probably not "invisible" as you seem to be able to see the "Luxoft" item with a Finder.

Maybe it's busy or something and you could try booting up into safe boot and tried deleting it when so booted.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
You can run Etrecheck to see if it is actually loading anything at boot time. That will also show the full path to what is being loaded.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can run Etrecheck to see if it is actually loading anything at boot time. That will also show the full path to what is being loaded.

Thanks for that reminder Jake, I keep forgetting what it can actually do and show.

- Patrick
=======

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
It may be that these items are merely listed in the login items preferences list. In which case you can simply remove them. That is, they're not connected to anything, just listed.

As stated it really is a good idea to use the developers uninstaller especially for large, complex apps like CMMX although AppCleaner usually does a good job.
You may also need to remove it from Full Disk Access in Privacy and Security settings if you gave it that permission.

To remove the items from the login items list varies a little depending on the operating system you have but some things remain the same.
At the bottom left edge of the login items list you should see a small panel with + and - buttons. Just highlight the items for removal and click the - (minus) button. You may need to enter your admin password to unlock this function first.
Privacy and Security settings works in much the same way.

It's educational to have a browse through these lists every now and again just to see what apps run all the time and what they have access to.

OP
H
Reaction score
Hi all
I've searched high and low for these items and they are not loaded at startup or do they seem to actually exist anywhere: (from Etrecheck)

Launch Daemons:
[Not Loaded] WDDiscoveryService.HelperTool.plist (Not signed - installed 2022-11-22)
[Not Loaded] com.adobe.ARMDC.Communicator.plist (Adobe Inc. - installed 2021-11-11)
[Not Loaded] com.adobe.ARMDC.SMJobBlessHelper.plist (Adobe Inc. - installed 2021-11-11)
[Not Loaded] com.adobe.acc.installer.v2.plist (Adobe Inc. - installed 2022-11-29)
[Running] com.logi.optionsplus.updater.plist (Logitech Inc. - installed 2022-12-02)

Launch Agents:
[Not Loaded] com.adobe.AdobeCreativeCloud.plist (Adobe Inc. - installed 2022-11-29)
[Not Loaded] com.adobe.ccxprocess.plist (Adobe Systems, Inc. - installed 2022-11-29)
[Running] com.logi.optionsplus.plist (Logitech Inc. - installed 2022-12-02)
[Loaded] com.radiosilenceapp.agent.plist (Juuso Salonen - installed 2022-10-02)

I re-installed CMMX and then uninstalled it using the uninstaller that the developer provided via email. The entries still exist on the background list, even after that.

I ran Radio Silence to see what was 'dialling out' and the 2 items were not doing anything at all.
I think that they are just entries on a plist as Rod suggested but I don't know how to remove them from the 'Allow in the background' list as there seems to be no way to edit that on Ventura..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Then don't worry about it. Not worth the sweat.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I don't know how to remove them from the 'Allow in the background'

Caveat: I don't have Ventura, but I think the setup is not so different: System Settings > Security & Privacy > Privacy

On the left of the window scroll up and down till you see "Full Disk Access" - click on that.

On the right you will see all apps which are allowed Full Disk Access. If you see anything related to CMM or the other Luxoft thing, then Click on the Padlock > Enter your Admin PW > this will give you access to all the items shown. Click on any naughty ones and then Click on the minus sign to remove them.

Having typed all that, Jake is right. Forget about it.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I re-installed CMMX and then uninstalled it using the uninstaller that the developer provided via email. The entries still exist on the background list, even after that.

If you are really concerned about the entries, could you take a screenshot showing them and exactly where they are as you are seeing them and send it to the forums and maybe things may not be as we think they are.

Otherwise I would agree and suggest doing what Jake suggests and just ignore them.

Or if anything else, try booting up into safe boot mode and see if anything changes without them loading as you use your Mac.

To get back to normal and out of safe boot mode, just Restart your Mac normally.

- Patrick
=======

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Yes, as Patrick suggests, send us a screen shot. Here is how my Login Items window looks in Ventura, it's a little different in earlier operating systems and is part of Users & Groups Preferences > Login items tab.

Circled are the + and - buttons which become live after you Unlock with Admin Password (not necessary in Ventura) and highlight and item as with "coconutBattery Menu" below. Press minus and its gone.
As for the "Allow in the Background" items, this is different to earlier macOS too. In my case (and perhaps yours) I can only turn them on or off, I cannot remove them.
Screenshot 2022-12-10 at 1.00.50 pm.png

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Very good Rod. I can now see how much has changed since Monterey, certainly in the location and appearance of certain settings. I shall desist from giving advice where Settings are concerned.

Ian

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Possibly the biggest change for years to system functions, I'm discovering differences every time I look at System Settings, new locations, new layouts and in some cases new settings. I use the search panel a lot.

BriggsBridget

Reaction score
Has anyone find the solution? I have the same issue with Sonoma, I can not remove CeanMyMac X background activity. Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Has anyone find the solution? I have the same issue with Sonoma, I can not remove CeanMyMac X background activity. Thank you.
Welcome to the forum.

Getting rid of CMM X is not easy to do. Even their own uninstaller is incomplete, by reports.

I would suggest you run Etrecheck to see if it's being loaded at all, and if it is, go look for the filename using something like Find Any File or EasyFind. Then manually delete it and reboot. Repeat until you have purged it all to your satisfaction.

If Etrecheck says nothing is loaded, then just ignore it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
with Sonoma, I can not remove CeanMyMac X background activity. Thank you.

If you don't already have it, as Jake also suggests, download and use FindAnyFile.app and search and delete any related files that contains "CleanMyMac X" and/or "MacPaw Inc"(no quotes) and maybe restart as well after Trashing them.

Hopefully, that will delete all tracer of it and stop it from running and annoying you.

FindAnyFile (FAF) download:

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.