Automator

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2013 Macbook Air SSD
I'm not very good with Automator was trying to mess around with it but can't really figure it out. But I have a bunch of folders of full albums and for the track numbers I wanted it to be like this for example

Is there a way I can make a workflow to make all the track names like that so I don't have to manually put in the dot?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Yep - use the Finder's Rename funtion in Automator.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
automator has a nasty habit of not keeping your prefered order (or even file name order) when mass renaming.

try renamer4mac - great mass file renamer program. easier to use than automator for renaming multiple files.

OP
drumkey87
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2013 Macbook Air SSD
sweet! thanks man I appreciate it :)

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
np, that's what we're here for. :)

Reaction score
I'm not very good with Automator was trying to mess around with it but can't really figure it out. But I have a bunch of folders of full albums and for the track numbers I wanted it to be like this for example

Is there a way I can make a workflow to make all the track names like that so I don't have to manually put in the dot?

I don't use Automator. The installed AppleScripts on your Mac will do it. Check out this link for a walk through.

Have a look at the attachment and you'll see what I mean.

I also use A Better Finder Renamer, but AppleScripts are easier.

Picture 2.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook white, 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB memory and 80GB hard drive, iPhone 8GB
Ok, i kept trying all these programs for the last hour, the best one that worked for me was A Better Finder Renamer, but i couldn't find an action to delete all the random names of files i selected and replace them with one name(proceeded by numbers of course). I'm sure this action exists, but i can't seem to find it.

Note: The replace option asks you to put in a text that is included in the file's name, but most of the files i want to rename are named randomly and it wouldn't work if i leave it empty.

Its kind of frustrating that Apple didn't include this when you rename a bunch of files. Because if they did it it would've very simple: Just select the files you want to rename, hit the return button, type in the name you want, hit the return button again and Walla, all of the files are renamed proceeded by numbers to separate them.

Don't get me wrong I'm lovin' OS X and hatin' the Windows, But it would've been easier if they included the action without having to add scripts, look for Apps and post in forums t see how they work.

Hey, maybe I'm blind and there's an easy way to do this.

P.S. This is my 1st week on OS X. So, go easy on me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.