Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
  • Headphone port
    • Support for Apple iPhone headset with remote and microphone
    • Support for audio line out (digital/analog)

Thanks for the update. That clarifies things a bit.

The line-out connection won't help things because you would need a line-in connection to do what you want to do.

Since that computer has iPhone headset support, a 3.5 mm four-pole to RCA cable such as this one should work. Amazon.com: HTTX 3.5mm Male Audio Stereo Jack to 3 RCA Female AV Camcorder Adapter Connector Extension Cable 90 Degree Angled 4 Pole 5-Feet: Industrial & Scientific

There are some available without the yellow video lead but you can usually ignore that connection if you can't find a cable without it.

Reaction score
Hi
Thanks will check my cable later to see what I have
If not will look for one
Neil

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're welcome. Be sure to post back and let us know how you get on with this project.

I'll probably be doing something similar this summer with some albums that belonged to one of my uncles. I've done such a transfer with tape but never LPs.

I have a turntable purchased years ago to transfer a couple of Jazz albums that were not on CD. Life got a little crazy and before I set up the turntable the music was released on CD.

Reaction score
Hi
Will do, I have done it before on a windows pc
But that had all the correct inputs
Separate line in and line out
Neil

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi
Will do, I have done it before on a windows pc
But that had all the correct inputs
Separate line in and line out
Neil
I've had a Mac or two over the years with those connections. Sometimes I miss them.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Once more our Moderator Slydude proves his expertise. Let's give him at least two (y)(y)!

Now if he would only show me how to play my cassettes and CDs in my new car that does not have a cassette or CD player. ??

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Once more our Moderator Slydude proves his expertise. Let's give him at least two (y)(y)!

Now if he would only show me how to play my cassettes and CDs in my new car that does not have a cassette or CD player. ??
:ROFLMAO:

The only thing I can think of is to rip the music to the computer and transfer it to your phone. and by extension to the car via Car Play but you've probably thought of that.

Our Subaru Outback has a CD player, but in almost three years I don't think we've used it once. Our Pontiac had a CD player that got used maybe a half dozen times in all the while we had the car. Too many skip0s.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
My wife's older Camry had a CD player but would not play MP3 CDs, only audio. Of course we no longer have that car. Her Honda CRV only has car play. The same with my car (Honda Civic). My Mustang had both a cassette and CD player. I sure miss that.

I've seen portable CD players that could be hooked up to your car but they're bulky and as the car moves over bumps, etc, the CDs will skip. Not a good scenario.

Yeah, you're right about using car play thru my iPhone, as that seems to be the easiest way. Right now I'm subscribed to Sirius XM because it was on special when we bought the car. But that subscription gives out in July and I'm not about to pay them $21/month for the same thing.

So I guess I need to fill up my iPhone. :) I do have a spare iPhone 8 that I can use for that in addition to my 12 Mini.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
We've been using XM quite a bit, so SWMBO insisted that we continue it when the trial ran out. I've read numerous accounts that say the price quoted for renewal will often be lower if you call them instead of renewing online. I haven't tried that, so I can't say for sure whether that's true.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Someone else mentioned the same thing about giving them a call and negotiate the price rather than letting them do an automatic renewal. Right now I'm paying $6.49/month including taxes for unlimited access to all channels. That goes up to around $21 per month after the 12 month contract is up.

You're required to call them to cancel service anyway, so that might be a good time to speak with them about prices.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In addition to the channels available on your car's radio, there are apparently several channels that are only available in the app. So far, none of them are channels that are a must-hear for me.

Reaction score
Hi
If your car as a USB port you could put music
On a memory stick and play it that way
That’s what I do or use Apple car play with a cable
Or just Bluetooth
Neil

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.