• Welcome to the new Mac-Forums. See News and Community Announcements for more details.

Audio to MP3

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 iMac running Mojave 10.14. 1TB Drive, 8 gigs RAM.
I have a bunch of vinyl records that I like to convert to MP3 and build up in my iTunes library. Currently over 2000 songs. Just recently started to convert after a lengthy pause using Audacity but wouldn't work. Audacity is not compatible with Catalina. (Posted on another thread that I downgraded back to Mojave.) Still wouldn't work but I found a program that is even better. It's called VinylStudio. Recording an album is easy. You can list the title tracks while it is recording, save the tracks when done and it automatically puts them into iTunes. All you have to do is create a playlist and then drag the album over from the Recently Added file. One thing nice about this program is that automatically eliminates hisses and scratches. Best thing is that the base program is free. (I don't need the stuff that the Pro version does.)

This program is terrific.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, Numerous iPods, Catalina
Nice program. Thanks for posting that. Do keep in mind that when converting any audio file to MP3 you are in fact compressing the file and it will suffer some audio quality. MP3s work great for voice recordings but sometimes not so good for music. But if you're happy with the results, that's all that matters. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 8.1 & 4.1, OS 10.14 & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Thanks exncite, I was about to post a question regarding the most recommended audio conversion software for Mojave. I have bought a compact cassette tape converter to transfer my priceless Goon Show analog recordings to digital (.mp3). Instructions mentioned Audacity (mini CD included, but for Win), and I believe GarageBand did likewise, so the pointer to VinylStudio is most helpful.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.15.5 beta
You could also use QuickTime Player X to do this. These directions break the task into very simple steps.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.15.5 beta
You're welcome. Other apps have some useful features for what you're doing but sometimes it's nice to know what the apps included with the Mac can d.