Audio streaming

Reaction score
I’ve just bought from Richer Sounds (and may be about to return!) a so-called uplay streamer. I can plug it to the mains and link into my amplifier and the greeny yellow wireless indicator has gone into steady glow (rather than initial flickering) which presumably means that the wifi is doing its thing.

I also seem to be able to download the relevant player software onto my iPad and iPod touch but then the device setup doesn’t lead to any link up with the computer. Any suggestions please

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 2G 8GB, 3X iPhone 4 8GB, iPhone 4 32GB, iPod Touch 4G 16GB, iPhone 7 256GB, iPad 2, iPad Air
You may have to setup port forwarding if you can stream and receive it outside of yournetwork

M

MacInWin

First, please read the link in my sig and provide us more information. Second, the specs (I couldn't get the manual for it to download) on the uplay device seem to say that you connect to the device from your iPad or iPod by being in the same network and then use AirPlay to deliver the audio stream to the play. Is that what you are trying to do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
First, please read the link in my sig and provide us more information. Second, the specs (I couldn't get the manual for it to download) on the uplay device seem to say that you connect to the device from your iPad or iPod by being in the same network and then use AirPlay to deliver the audio stream to the play. Is that what you are trying to do?

I agree w/ Jake, i.e. please provide more information regarding your iPad & iPod models and the iOS installed on each device. I was able to DL the PDF manual which is 34 pages long and uses Wi-Fi audio streaming and not AirPlay - see quote below from the manual.

Your issue(s) likely relates to your Wi-Fi network, possibly to security in place, and/or setup directions on the app installed - I would first suggest that you go through the manual carefully to see what the problem(s) may be - you may also want to provide more details on your wireless network. Dave :)

The QED uPlay Stream is a DLNA / UPnP compatible Hi-Fi network music streamer designed to stream uncompressed high resolution digital music from various sources to your existing audio system.

OP
K
Reaction score
Audio streaming using uplay streamer

Thanks for responses.
For starters my ipod is version 6.1.6 (10B500) model MC540BT/A
In security settings on my imac file sharing is on.
I've read the uplay streamer manual but it doesn't seem to help me with device link up and I don't understand airplay and its relevance.

Does that suggest anything further I can try?

Many thanks

Ken

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for responses.
For starters my ipod is version 6.1.6 (10B500) model MC540BT/A
In security settings on my imac file sharing is on.
I've read the uplay streamer manual but it doesn't seem to help me with device link up and I don't understand airplay and its relevance.

Hi Ken - you still have not clearly answered my questions: 1) What iPad model do you own; 2) What iOS is installed on your iDevices (Settings -> General -> About - look half way down - what is the version?); 3) Have you installed the app for your new hardware onto your iDevices; and 4) How is your home network setup and what security are you using?

AirPlay is Apple's proprietary wireless streaming technology - DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) is an alternate streaming option which is used by your uPlay device, SO AirPlay has nothing to do w/ you solving this problem(s).

Please respond to my questions and also tell us what you have tried to solve your connection - the manual has the answer(s) but not owning the same device and not knowing how your Wi-Fi is set up makes responding difficult - just saying. Dave :)

OP
K
Reaction score
Hi Dave
1 My ipad model is MC982B/A
2 version 8.1 (12B410)
3 Although I appear to have installed the uplayer streamer device (the icon appears and it opens up a window with a settings icon in the left hand top corner. When I open that and then open device setup, and press refresh, the searching moving circle comes up briefly - but then nothing - presumably because it has found nothing

1My ipod touch model is MC540BT/A
2 My ipod touch version is 6.1.6 (10B500)
3 Ipod as for ipad

4 I'm not sure how to answer this question but can tell you that wi-fi is connected but ethernet, firewire and bluetooth PAN are not. The location is automatic & the IP address is 172.16.0.6.
briggs network has WPA Personal security, briggs_EXT has WPA/WPA2 Personal security and SpeedTouch 48C4BE_Ext & NETGEAR_EXT have no security

File sharing is on

...and many thanks for your continued patience....with a somewhat numbskulled novice!

Ken

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Dave
1 My ipad model is MC982B/A
2 version 8.1 (12B410)
3 Although I appear to have installed the uplayer streamer device (the icon appears and it opens up a window with a settings icon in the left hand top corner. When I open that and then open device setup, and press refresh, the searching moving circle comes up briefly - but then nothing - presumably because it has found nothing

1My ipod touch model is MC540BT/A
2 My ipod touch version is 6.1.6 (10B500)
3 Ipod as for ipad

4 I'm not sure how to answer this question but can tell you that wi-fi is connected but ethernet, firewire and bluetooth PAN are not. The location is automatic & the IP address is 172.16.0.6.
briggs network has WPA Personal security, briggs_EXT has WPA/WPA2 Personal security and SpeedTouch 48C4BE_Ext & NETGEAR_EXT have no security

File sharing is on

Hi again Ken - thanks for the additional information - according to the model numbers provided above, you have an iPad 2 16 GB Wi-Fi & 3G and an iPod Touch 4G 8 GB w/ both having an iOS installed compatible w/ your uPlay device (according the the PDF manual which I downloaded).

Setup requires the iDevice app, so you need to make sure the program is properly installed (I can't help w/ that part) - setup can be done optionally via a computer but appears not to be necessary. You need to decide whether your want to setup the device using Wi-Fi or using a wired ethernet cable. The manual is 34 pages long w/ detailed steps and plenty of pictures - again w/o owning this machine and trying to set it up myself, I cannot provide any more specific help. If you have a 'tech savvy' friend/relative, then see if you can be assisted or give the manufacturer a call and let them talk you through the process.

Sorry that I cannot provide additional advice but this is just a 'hands on' type of job - let us know your outcome and good luck. Dave :)

OP
K
Reaction score
uplay stream device related to my itunes library

Thanks for your help.
I'm now further down the road - the uplay stream is working as a wifi unit and I can play tracks from my ipod touch through my HiFi amplifier. (My setup problem was that I needed to set up with ethernet first & then go wifi - not clear from the manual)
That's great, but I assume that I ought to be able to browse direct from my substantial itunes library which resides on my imac.
However, when I go to the uplay stream browser on my ipod touch, it says ALL SERVER as the heading but only lists My ipod touch.
Should it wirelessly be able to find and open my itunes library on the imac?

Thanks again for your help

Ken

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.