Assembly Programing?

F

FishStickBoy

This may be a strange question but does anyone know of an assembly language compiler for mac os x, or any that I can can run without VPC.

I have been searching every where for one with no luck. I need it for the 8051 microcontroller family or the 87LPC760 to be exact.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
In the Terminal there is Perl. I think true old school assembly language compilers have been replaced

OP
D

dr_springfield

What does perl have to do with assembly? (totally confused). Anyway, dev tools comes with AS (/usr/bin/as), but since I don't really know anything about assembly, I wouldn't know if this would compile code for the architecture you desire, but I would check out "man as" to find out.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Assembly langauge is definitely old school, I learned that a long time ago using a pdp system.

I suggest you do a google search, I started to look, but don' t have the time right now.

It was interesting that the first hit on my search was this site and your question. lol :)

OP
F

FishStickBoy

I've searched for a while with no luck. Guess I'll have to go back to my old pc for this one.

There is not much for the PC either just CEIBO debugger.

I tried looking into perl but I still have no idea how to use it.

Thanks anyway.

OP
F

FishStickBoy

I thought it was kind of funny too that the first hit in a goole search was MY question.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
dr_springfield said:
What does perl have to do with assembly? (totally confused). Anyway, dev tools comes with AS (/usr/bin/as), but since I don't really know anything about assembly, I wouldn't know if this would compile code for the architecture you desire, but I would check out "man as" to find out.
Well I just brought it up as that means OS X has the compiler for it. If you wanna do assembler you need a compiler. But as rman said -- it's very old school so why not try Perl or Applescript? ;)

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
gcc & as have support for 680XX, i386 & PPC targets as standard but my advice would be to look for a Linux based cross-assembler or cross-compiler and compile it yourself.

Try here:

http://www.pjrc.com/tech/8051/index.html

Amen-Moses

OP
S

secondshadow

witeshark said:
Well I just brought it up as that means OS X has the compiler for it. If you wanna do assembler you need a compiler. But as rman said -- it's very old school so why not try Perl or Applescript? ;)

Obviously you've never seen a basic HTTP server written in assembly. I've seen a VERY VERY basic one whose executable was less than 1KB in size (Yes, thats KB not MB). There are advantages to programming in assembler on the intellectual level as well. If you learn assembler on any arch some of the more confusing points of other languages (like pointers in C) make a lot more sense as you see how they relate to the actual machine code.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
secondshadow said:
Obviously you've never seen a basic HTTP server written in assembly. I've seen a VERY VERY basic one whose executable was less than 1KB in size (Yes, thats KB not MB). There are advantages to programming in assembler on the intellectual level as well. If you learn assembler on any arch some of the more confusing points of other languages (like pointers in C) make a lot more sense as you see how they relate to the actual machine code.
Right, I have not, but I have read about Assembler and understand that it is the closest to binary of any language, really neat and efficient

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
stock 17" 2.8ghz unibody mbp.
lol i just went through a semester learning 68k assembly coding.. (the original macs ran the 68k)

dear lord was it FUN :) FUN FUN FUN..

OP
O

osxuser

try Code Warrior

FishStickBoy said:
This may be a strange question but does anyone know of an assembly language compiler for mac os x, or any that I can can run without VPC.

I have been searching every where for one with no luck. I need it for the 8051 microcontroller family or the 87LPC760 to be exact.

I think I do - Code Warrior, I used it in OS 9 to compile applications in C but when os x came out I started using xcode (which comes with the os x cd). i am pretty sure that you can compile asm files. Moreover it is a cross platform compiler.

PS.: can't understand what those people with Perl are trying to tell?? :)

good luck

OP
V

vuschejan

osxuser said:
I think I do - Code Warrior, I used it in OS 9 to compile applications in C but when os x came out I started using xcode (which comes with the os x cd). i am pretty sure that you can compile asm files. Moreover it is a cross platform compiler.

PS.: can't understand what those people with Perl are trying to tell?? :)

good luck

Just my 2 cent but, In CS 3/4(Comp Sci) My teacher is teaching us Assembler(Woo!) Anyway, I've been looking for an assembler(Which isnt a compiler I think, Its referred to as an assembler, where as Java is a compiler/linker?Someone check me) Anyway, Masm dosnt run on VPC, I think because its an emulator... But Borland C and C++ do. I havnt tried xcode with Assembler yet, perhaps I should. However one problem I encoutered with Xcode was libraries such as conio.h. They're Windows and made some programming assignments difficult as I had to use a PC. Anyway, thats all I know.

OP
O

osxuser

vuschejan said:
Just my 2 cent but, In CS 3/4(Comp Sci) My teacher is teaching us Assembler(Woo!) Anyway, I've been looking for an assembler(Which isnt a compiler I think, Its referred to as an assembler, where as Java is a compiler/linker?Someone check me) Anyway, Masm dosnt run on VPC, I think because its an emulator... But Borland C and C++ do. I havnt tried xcode with Assembler yet, perhaps I should. However one problem I encoutered with Xcode was libraries such as conio.h. They're Windows and made some programming assignments difficult as I had to use a PC. Anyway, thats all I know.

If your teacher is teaching you assembler in MS windows then you are looking for a x86 assembler, assembler is an instruction set for a particular processor. Every processor has it's own instruction set, however pentium CPUs share roughly the same instruction set with AMD CPUs because they both have the same x86 architecture. So, you can write programmes on a PC with Intel Pentium 4 for example, in MS Windows and they will also work for AMD CPUs. NB though, Assembler is a low-level language ('low' doesn't mean it's bad) unlike Java. Java is a high level language. What happens when you compile programmes on Java, C++ or C is that they get translated into Assembler (instruction set) for a particular CPU and then LINKER creates an executable file (*.exe for example). When you compile programmes on Assembler as I noticed aboove Assembler is an instruction set for a CPU, they don't have to be translated into Assembler, so the linker creates executable file straight away. MASM won't ran on VPC because VPC doesn't emulate every instruction of the intel or AMD CPU.

Since you have MASM you don't need to look for a linker or compiler cause MASM includes them all. If you wan't to use MASM on mac than you should try another emulator called BOCHS, it emulates almost every instruction. Check out win32assembly.online.fr for more info about asm.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.