Area specific Apple ID's

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I just had a fact that I was vaguely aware of brought home to me for the first time.
A friend of mine who is a member of Alcoholics Anonymous (sober for over 20 years) asked me why he couldn't download a piece of software called 12 AA Companion to his iPhone. He is Australian and has an Apple ID. He found this app online and the link took him to the app store but when he tried to download it iTunes opened and told him it was not available on the Aus App store would he like to change to the US app store. He said yes but when he tried to log in he was told his Apple ID was only useable with the Aus App Store. Why would an International Fellowship limit its apps to the US and why is his Apple ID limited to Australia only? I'm puzzled.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Why would an International Fellowship limit its apps to the US and why is his Apple ID limited to Australia only? I'm puzzled.

You'd have to ask AA why they limit the app to the US. As for why the Apple ID is limited to Australia, it's only limited to there while he is in Australia (logged in from an Australian-based IP address). That's to enforce restrictions on content set by a publisher of an app or media. Apple is just at the mercy of IP and copyright laws that vary from one country to the next. If he was in the US, he could purchase from the US-based iTunes Store no problem.

EDIT: BTW, I just pulled up the listing for that app, 12 AA Companion. That's not put out by AA. It's a developer named Dean Huff.
http://www.deanhuff.com/DeanHuff/Apps+.html

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
You'd have to ask AA why they limit the app to the US. As for why the Apple ID is limited to Australia, it's only limited to there while he is in Australia (logged in from an Australian-based IP address). That's to enforce restrictions on content set by a publisher of an app or media. Apple is just at the mercy of IP and copyright laws that vary from one country to the next. If he was in the US, he could purchase from the US-based iTunes Store no problem.

EDIT: BTW, I just pulled up the listing for that app, 12 AA Companion. That's not put out by AA. It's a developer named Dean Huff.
http://www.deanhuff.com/DeanHuff/Apps+.html
Hi to everyone who replied on this thread and thanks for your input. I have already contacted the developer who replied almost immediately. He said, "Because of copyright restrictions, the app can only be made available to customers with US account. I wish I could make it available internationally but it can not legally be done."
So that answers that question but I'm still surprised that my (and my friend's) Apple ID's are not useable in the USA. I am actually in Indonesia and I tried using a VPN to change my location to Los Angeles. Tunes changed stores to the US App Store but it still stated my Apple ID is limited to the Australian App Store, so much for the IP theory, even if I was there I could not use my Apple ID for the US store.:Angry-Tongue:

C

chas_m

The reason your Apple ID is linked to your home region is due to the complexity of licensing and copyright laws in the different regions. This is Apple's way of making sure it complies with the laws there. There are some legal workarounds (get a US credit card with an assigned US address, use it to open a US iTunes account, voila) but in this case the problem is that the developer is 1) lying and 2) not providing a clear explanation.

Very very obviously, it is legally possible to make apps -- even those that incorporate copyrighted material -- that are available for sale in both US and Aus regions. Nearly any app that is available in both countries fits that description. So clearly, it is not "legally impossible" to do so, it's just a matter of obtaining clearances, which may cost more than the dev wants to pay or has been refused permission outside the US.

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I agree and what's more Apple confirms this. Apparently my friend could purchase this app if he were to obtain a gift voucher from the US. So much for international copy right laws. He has some friends there so I have suggested he ask them to mail him a $5.00 gift voucher. Problem solved.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I agree and what's more Apple confirms this. Apparently my friend could purchase this app if he were to obtain a gift voucher from the US. So much for international copy right laws. He has some friends there so I have suggested he ask them to mail him a $5.00 gift voucher. Problem solved.

That's worth a try but might only work for some content and not others. I had a friend go through that a while ago with a few iTunes gift cards. I think they were purchased in the US for use with a UK account. That didn't work.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's worth a try but might only work for some content and not others. I had a friend go through that a while ago with a few iTunes gift cards. I think they were purchased in the US for use with a UK account. That didn't work.

The same holds true for Apple Gift Cards. If I wanted to send a friend or relative who lives in the UK an Apple Gift Card, I would not be able to do so even though the amount could be adjusted for currency exchange. Also, I don't think you and I could make a purchase from the UK Apple on line store for the same reason.

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well of course its untested but I think this is how it works. You search for the app online, you click the link to show in iTunes, the App store will say this item is not available in the Aus App Store, would you like to change stores? Click yes and you are taken to the US App Store, apply the voucher code and click Buy.
This is of course theoretical but I will post and let everybody know how/if it works.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.