Are there any issues with using your iCloud password as your Mac password?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2014 Mac Mini (Base Model, High Sierra); iPad 2018 (Latest iOS); iPhone 7 (Latest iOS)
So, a little more than a year ago, I got my Mac Mini and was super happy (still am, naturally). During the installation and setup, I was asked to do a password. It asked if I wanted to use my iCloud password as the Mac password. Sure, no worries, says I, and did it.

And now I wonder - was that wise? Like, is that unsafe somehow? The only thing I can see is that, if a person manages to get my iCloud password somehow, they will also have physical access to my Mac. That's the only "true" downside I see. Are there any others? Like, do some of you keep these two passwords different, and if so, is it for any reason other than the one I noted above?

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I think the danger would be the other way around. If someone sees your login password and uses it to access your Apple ID. The email address is easy to find. That would enable them to login to your email, App Store and iTunes account to mention just a few. They can then change the password and lock you out of your Apple account.
So yes I would change the login/admin password to something else. I usually favour short sentences like, "I have2blackCats" or "TeRmInAtOr3" Adding or removing spaces, introducing upper or lower case letters, numbers and punctuation marks make very secure passwords but they must be memorable and quick to type.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac Forums

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I doubt that this is much of an actual concern in reality (theoretically it might be though). Indeed, one of the benefits of using your iCloud password is the ability to change it online and if, as I suspect, you can change it online and have this work for your Mac, you could effectively lock someone out. That said, having diverse passwords is often the better option.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.