• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Archiving Movies

Reaction score
Greetings

I am trying to find out the best way to archive movies for the long term.

Currently, I have quite a few movies which I have shot myself saved to mini dv tapes. Now in an attempt to move with the times and because tape driven videocams are becoming (have become?) a thing of the past, I wonder what to use instead - and how to do it. Most are large files, 30 GB ish.

Google didn't help me at all, so over to you guys.....

Any help appreciated

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
A good external drive should do you. You don't need an SSD, so a good spinner drive will do. Make backups, so when you get the drive, get two and keep two copies. What is more critical is the format of the movies. You want to keep them in a format that is current technology. (Think Sony Betamax tapes to see why.) So when you copy them to the drive, you should go ahead and put them in a format that modern tech can play.

OP
Mitcherooney
Reaction score
A good external drive should do you. You don't need an SSD, so a good spinner drive will do. Make backups, so when you get the drive, get two and keep two copies. What is more critical is the format of the movies. You want to keep them in a format that is current technology. (Think Sony Betamax tapes to see why.) So when you copy them to the drive, you should go ahead and put them in a format that modern tech can play.

Thank you Jake for your suggestion, but these drives themselves are somewhat bulky - less so than my mini dv tapes, I accept.

I rather hoped that it was possible to record to an SD card - smaller of course.

Do you know if I can record to SD directly? I have a solid mid 2011 iMac which has an SD slot. Is it possible to record using this? What steps are needed - if it is at all possible?

Thanks again

Mitch

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Do you know if I can record to SD directly? I have a solid mid 2011 iMac which has an SD slot. Is it possible to record using this? What steps are needed - if it is at all possible?

You should be able to use SD cards, however my experience with SD cards are that even the best of them are unreliable. Hard drives are better. Do like Jake suggested if you should decide to use hard drives.

Another option is you could invest in a Blu Ray drive and discs. That though, is more expensive.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
So when you copy them to the drive, you should go ahead and put them in a format that modern tech can play.
Excellent advice, as usual, Jake. I'd also add that whatever format is used, one needs to keep an eye on new formats as they arise. It's possible that the selected format will be replaced by something else. When the new format takes hold, you don't want to wait so long that a conversion path isn't available.

I haven't used SD cards a lot but, I'm not sure I would trust them as primary, long-term, storage.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would not trust SD cards or USB thumb drives for long term storage, either. A good spinner, backed up , should last a long time. I would exercise it (them) periodically to make sure they both work, too. Backups and archives are not static.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Thank you Jake for your suggestion, but these drives themselves are somewhat bulky - less so than my mini dv tapes, I accept.

I rather hoped that it was possible to record to an SD card - smaller of course.

Besides their unreliability as already pointed out... being smaller, they are also much much MUCH easier to lose.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Thanks again

Mitch
Really? Bulky? Have you looked at the small physical sizes of drives lately? Take a look at some of these:
Amazon.com. Spend less. Smile more.

They aren't much bigger than an iPhone.

OP
Mitcherooney
Reaction score
Thank you everyone.

Two things:
I was getting my Gigabytes mixed up with my Terabytes.. Old age rearing its ugly head again - imagining that I would need a pallet-sizes crate to do the job...

I was thinking that ext HD's were overkill. but of course, portable drives make sense..brain in wrong gear again.

I take on board what you say about SD cards. OK for short term, but in the longer term, not to be relied upon.

Once again, thank you for steering me in a sensible direction. Much appreciated.

Mitch

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
You should get a 3.5" drive in an A/C powered enclosure. Also, once the data (movies) are copied to the drive, you can put it away or store it until it is needed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Doesn't have to be 3.5", Bob, just any external drive will do.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.