• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

iOS Apple Apps You Can't Live Without?

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
does appTrap get rid of more left over files from trashed apps than App Cleaner does... which is what I have been using.

Hi lori5060, the topic of complete removal of old or redundant apps is always an interesting subject. To start with often the remnants of old removed apps are so small as to be insignificant and usually harmless but just to add to your arsenal of handy apps you might like to instal Find Any File (FAF). https://apps.tempel.org/FindAnyFile/index.php. This is the developer, Thomas Templeman's (a really nice guy) page and completely safe, he also mentions alternatives and other specific search apps for particular purposes. I have had cause to contact Thomas a couple of times and he has replied same day. This app is "donationware," you will note that he mentions there is a version on the App Store which is not free.
So, I use a few different ways of deleting and uninstalling unwanted apps. If possible I use the provided uninstaller but sometimes I need to ensure all traces of an app are gone. Especially true where we are talking about eg. browser extensions and malware. This is one place where I find FAF to be really useful. I have used proprietary uninstallers then done a broad search with FAF for the app name to find 10 or more small associated files scattered throughout the system. FAF gives you the option (right click) to delete immediately or move to trash which I prefer.
As stated these are usually small, harmless remnants but they do accumulate over time and my MBP is a product of three previous MBP's so I don't need old redundant files.
I follow an "if in doubt don't remove" policy but still I'm sure I have removed Mb's of useless data thanks to Thomas' great little app.

Reaction score
Garageband because I love to play with the beats and sounds and I spend most of my time on this app. It is free and fun.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
True, can't include it all! I decided to take a gander at PhotoScape X just now and.... very nice! It even makes a great graphics viewer. Xee³ has been my long-time favorite but this just might take over.

I'm dialing my enthusiasm back for this significantly after finding that the paint bucket tool requires paying for the pro version. That's a pretty basic feature IMO. For what it costs to go pro, I think I'd rather just buy Pixelmator Pro to complement their iOS app that I already have. But since I don't even need anything beyond what Seashore can do, I'm sticking with that for nada.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Weather Mate, the best weather app for Apple Watch and iPhone I've ever had.
Cara Care, diet diary for people like me with gastrointestinal problems.
And Medisafe, so far the best free medication management and pill reminder app I have been able to find.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit display with IPS technology
Mac Office
Dropbox
OsiriX MD (professional)
EasyFind and Find Any File
and of course SpamSieve - but it's a paid program, I paid more than $ 30 for it

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Sophie

So there's at least two of us who use OsiriX MD. Tremendous app; but hugely expensive unless, of course, you get it paid for you. Here in the UK, retirees such as I have to pay for our own - £800+ per year for the licence but once bought, you can, only recently, keep the app without updates for as long as you like.

And a warm welcome to Mac-Forums.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.