• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

iOS Apple Apps You Can't Live Without?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2017 running Mojave, iPhone 12, iPad 6th generation
thnx randy... I have used GIMP in the past when I wanted to do editing. too many options for me. so can try Seashore...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
] forgot to mention App Trap which is actually a utility. Gets rid of the leftovers from uninstalled (trashed) apps. Just don't get rid of the leftovers of updated apps.
And Clean, removes everything from your desktop except starred items every 24 hrs and places them in a dated folder.
this was an old post... cannot find a safe link! is it still available?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Here is the latest download site for AppTrap:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here is the latest download site for AppTrap:

yes thanks for the link...tho I did find it myself but saw that the developer does not support it any longer...so I just wondered!

seems like Kumaran Vijayan. a software developer in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan has now taken over the support. anyone had any interaction with this fellow??

I downloaded app... apptrap.prefpane... it showed in my downloads folder with kind of odd extension.
when tried to install: cannot open unidentified developer.
I know I can go into settings and allow this but do I really want to.
want to make sure this is not going to give me problems.

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hi Lori:

The app is safe, so no need to worry. Just right click on it and select "open anyway".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok thnx.... I just dont know what I would do if I did not have the support and guidance of the many members of this site. thank you all so very much

Reaction score
As far as I know - at least the way I use it, it is for encrypting and holding data on your Mac.

Sending encrypted emails is a different matter altogether. Worth googling for all the options and means available.

No, Encrypto does both with aplomb. You can either encrypt a file with Encrypto and then attach it to an e-mail when composing it, or Encrypto has a shortcut to work directly with your e-mail program.

It's a really great, extremely easy to use program.

All that the recipient needs is their own (free) copy of Encrypto and the password used to encrypt the file.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I saw that Encrypto can encrypt file and then attached to email.
aha... that is the catch... the recipient must have their own free copy.
I dont think they would agree as most would be business or financial institutions an they would not go for that.

however I can still encrypt my files on MacBook.

Reaction score
for formulate pro...i run mojave I will have to stay with that because I have a couple of programs i purchased which will not run on Catalina and higher.

rarely, but in can be important to protect the info entered on a PDF document.

FormulatePro works perfectly under Mojave. You can save your files from it in a format that will save your data and keep your entries editable, or you can export files in PDF format.

Let me know if you need a short tutorial on how to use FormulatePro. It's not entirely intuitive to learn to use, but it takes seconds to learn to use with instruction, and it's extremely easy to use once you know how.

Has anyone used crypt 3 to encrypted any personal files?

I've used both Crypt3 and Encrypto. Both are excellent products. I stopped recommending Crypt3 because Encrypto does the same exact thing, but it's faster, and has the added benefit that it works cross-platform and that it's easier to use for sending encrypted e-mails.

most interesting about malware bites (i only use free version) and I will definitely check into the alternative.. detectx... ill go back and read more on malware bites.
what is difference using detecx swift.
The two products are almost identical in use. The bottom line is that I personally don't trust the company MalwareBytes comes from . Their advertising is heavy-handed and not always honest, and the product installs a very large number of files deep into your Mac's operating system. (I've seen the program install as many as 21 files!) I don't know what they are all doing, and I can't fathom why then all need to be there.

Reaction score
I dont think they would agree as most would be business or financial institutions an they would not go for that.

Many financial instutions have their own encrypted Web portals. (it's not like banks have never heard about security before!) You should ask them about it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
FormulatePro works perfectly under Mojave. You can save your files from it in a format that will save your data and keep your entries editable, or you can export files in PDF format.

Let me know if you need a short tutorial on how to use FormulatePro. It's not entirely intuitive to learn to use, but it takes seconds to learn to use with instruction, and it's extremely easy to use once you know how.

I've used both Crypt3 and Encrypto. Both are excellent products. I stopped recommending Crypt3 because Encrypto does the same exact thing, but it's faster, and has the added benefit that it works cross-platform and that it's easier to use for sending encrypted e-mails.

The two products are almost identical in use. The bottom line is that I personally don't trust the company MalwareBytes comes from . Their advertising is heavy-handed and not always honest, and the product installs a very large number of files deep into your Mac's operating system. (I've seen the program install as many as 21 files!) I don't know what they are all doing, and I can't fathom why then all need to be there.

thanks for the offer of guidance to use formulate pro.... right now busy canning and company coming.... i want to have my full focus on these new apps!

so all these files that malware put on my mac... i can use one of the apps (exact name does not cone to mind readily) to remove all connecting files when uninstall it? and not just deleting it!!!

Reaction score
...so all these files that malware put on my mac... i can use one of the apps (exact name does not cone to mind readily) to remove all connecting files when uninstall it? and not just deleting it!!!

Yes. Download:

EasyFind (free)

Set it to look for files and folders only. To look for any word, and to ignore case. Have it look for invisible files and folders also.

Then do a search for "malwarebytes".

Anything from two to 21 files are likely to show up. You can delete them all from within EasyFind.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
I'd like to suggest adding Seashore to your list.
Thank you for the suggestion!

I was aware of Seashore when I created the list. I decided that Seashore was extremely similar to another app that I recommended, but in some way not quite as desireable, so to avoid redundancy I recommended the other app and left Seashore off the list.

I actually went through this thought process with a number of apps. The page isn't simply a list of all free apps for the Mac that I know of; it's actually a list of only those that I recommend for one reason or another. Some were left off because they would lead to duplication, some were left off because ordinary users might not be able to install them or get them to work, some were left off because they had what I considered design defects, etc.

But thank you once again, I do appreciate suggestions for inclusion on that page. I know that lots of Mac users have found that page to be extremely helpful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Thank you for the suggestion!

I was aware of Seashore when I created the list. I decided that Seashore was extremely similar to another app that I recommended, but in some way not quite as desireable, so to avoid redundancy I recommended the other app and left Seashore off the list.

I actually went through this thought process with a number of apps. The page isn't simply a list of all free apps for the Mac that I know of; it's actually a list of only those that I recommend for one reason or another. Some were left off because they would lead to duplication, some were left off because ordinary users might not be able to install them or get them to work, some were left off because they had what I considered design defects, etc.

But thank you once again, I do appreciate suggestions for inclusion on that page. I know that lots of Mac users have found that page to be extremely helpful.

True, can't include it all! I decided to take a gander at PhotoScape X just now and.... very nice! It even makes a great graphics viewer. Xee³ has been my long-time favorite but this just might take over.

Reaction score
There are some apps in my phone that I can't ignore. WhatsApp to get connected with friends, PayPal for money transfer, Outlook and zendesk for official purposes, I use VLC to play media, Netflix for entertainment, PDF viewer, MS Word, and twitter for social communication are included in the list.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Welcome to our forums Karen.

Thanks for your input. By the way, that's quite a lineup of apps you have on your iPhone. :)

Reaction score
...Then do a search for "malwarebytes".

Anything from two to 21 files are likely to show up. You can delete them all from within EasyFind.

OMG...I just did this and found 32 items! Why would any application need to install so many components?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OMG...I just did this and found 32 items! Why would any application need to install so many components?

It's almost like Malwarebytes is malware. 32 items is ridiculous, that's more than some large apps like MS Office install.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
It's almost like Malwarebytes is malware. 32 items is ridiculous, that's more than some large apps like MS Office install.

It seems it wasn't so long ago when it was held in high regard for what it was. How times change.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.