applications quitting

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 867 Mhz 768 MB Ram
Hey when I get the error message "....blank...application has unexpectedly quit"....does that mean that I don't have the right version of OSX?? I keep getting it when I do the automatic software updates, and then I tried to download Skype and install it and got that message again. I then realized that Skype is for panther only.....is that why this is happening??

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
No this can happen with any of the version of OS X. I am not sure what causes the problem. The only thing that I can think of, is that the application may have tried to access some secure memory.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Lots of things can cause this behavior. The most common is a bug in the program.

Trying to run an app on a machine that doesn't support it (wrong OS version, for example) can sometimes do this too.

If you're seeing this often, somtimes repairing permissions (do a search on the forum) can help.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 867 Mhz 768 MB Ram
technologist said:
Lots of things can cause this behavior. The most common is a bug in the program.

Trying to run an app on a machine that doesn't support it (wrong OS version, for example) can sometimes do this too.

If you're seeing this often, somtimes repairing permissions (do a search on the forum) can help.

yeah that's what I think the problem is (wrong OS)....but w/ regards to the software update thing, it always used to work fine and now it quits every time.....strange...

Did the repair permissions thing....so we'll have to see if it works....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.