Applications only launch in safe mode

Reaction score
Help required. I've been running OSX 10.6.2 without any problem for the last six months until today....Now when I try to run applications (other than Safari which is working slow, but otherwise ok) the application icon will appear in the dock for 2-3 seconds and then disappears without opening the program. I'm not aware that I've added or changed anything that might have triggered this problem.

I can however open the applications without any problem if I boot into safe mode. I've tried more than one user profile, disk utilities, resetting PRAM, running Onyx maintenance utilities etc. I'm at a loss as what to try next !

C

chas_m

If everything works in safe mode and does not work when signed into any user account, you have something installed in your system that is interfering with the normal operation of the system.

Opening Console and having a look at your system log (when booted up normally) should reveal the culprit, particularly after you try and fail to launch an app.

OP
B
Reaction score
Fixed now, after downloading and re-installing the 10.6.2 Combo. Thanks for the replies and suggestions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 MacBook Pro
This seems like a similar problem...

Working on iPhoto today, my macbook just shut down and when I started it back up it said "iPhoto quit unexpectedly" but when I selected reopen it popped up the same dialog box. I then tried to open Pages, Numbers, and iWeb with the same result. However, I can still open Safari, Mail, iTunes, and others. I rebooted in safe mode and the programs opened fine that way. I then used the command utility in normal mode and got the following text from the system.log:

Apr 12 22:05:09 Nate-Kellys-MacBook-Pro.local Pages[358]: objc[358]: Class is implemented in both /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreFoundation.framework/Versions/A/CoreFoundation and /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreFoundation.framework/Versions/A/CoreFoundation. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.
Apr 12 22:05:09 --- last message repeated 103 times ---
Apr 12 22:05:09 Nate-Kellys-MacBook-Pro com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[125] ([0x0-0x34034].com.apple.iWork.Pages[358]): Job appears to have crashed: Segmentation fault: 11
Apr 12 22:05:10 Nate-Kellys-MacBook-Pro.local ReportCrash[350]: Saved crash report for Pages[358] version 4.3 (1048) to /Users/Kellies/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/Pages_2013-04-12-220510_Nate-Kellys-MacBook-Pro.crash

I am currently using OS X 10.8.3. I'm not sure where to go from here...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
FYI - it's not a good idea to tag along on an old thread/topic. You don't get as much attention as you need that way. Start a new thread next time. (Start a Discussion button)

You should try some additional generic troubleshooting steps.
Safe boot includes a disk repair - otherwise that would be step one.
Step two - use Disk Utility and repair permissions. While in Disk Utility, look at S.M.A.R.T. status.
Step three - get Onyx and use that to do general maintenence steps.
report results to us, please.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 MacBook Pro
Last night I let it redownload and install Snow Leopard and that seems to have done the trick somehow. Thanks for the reply though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.