Applications keep sliding out of desktop

Reaction score
All applications slide away from view when using the mouse, leaving a blank desktop. I have looked for every setting I can think of and can’t figure out how to stop it. It’s incredibly annoying and time consuming. I’m sure I’m missing something. Any help would be appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 iMac 24" M1 512/16/8/8 Sonoma. 2013 iMac 20.5" 3.1 i7 16GB Catalina. iPhone 13
Go to System Preferences/Dock and look towards the bottom of the window that opens and untick 'Automatically hide and show the dock'.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Welcome to the forum.

With deference to @pine man , and assuming you meant the actual applications and not the Dock, then from your description, I think what is happening is that you are swiping from one desktop to another. You didn't say what Mac, or what mouse or what version of macOS you are using, so it's a bit of a guess, but the OS allows for multiple desktops, which are accessed by swiping on a trackpad (or the Magic Mouse surface, if that is what you are using). You can see how many desktops you have by swiping up on a trackpad with 4 fingers. The screen will shrink slightly and at the top will appear the list of desktops. Once you have the list of desktops visible, you can delete any you don't want.

OP
K
Reaction score
Thank you both for the prompt response! The preference for the dock is already unchecked. I’ll check the other option. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 iMac 24" M1 512/16/8/8 Sonoma. 2013 iMac 20.5" 3.1 i7 16GB Catalina. iPhone 13

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Go to System Preferences/Dock and look towards the bottom of the window that opens and untick 'Automatically hide and show the dock'.
kblagrandeur, I think pine man has hit on it because applications and desktop content should be the same on any desktop, I think its the "Automatically Hide and Show the Dock" command, not to be confused with the preference at the bottom of the same Dock Preferences window which is, "Automatically Hide and Show the Menu Bar" and an easy mistake to make. I'd just check again. Screen Shot 2021-07-06 at 2.42.25 pm.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
It could also be Hot Corners or Mouse gestures.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Maybe we need a better description of what’s happening. No offence kblagrandeur, but could you describe what actually happens and maybe a screen shot?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
kblagrandeur, I think pine man has hit on it because applications and desktop content should be the same on any desktop, I think its the "Automatically Hide and Show the Dock" command, not to be confused with the preference at the bottom of the same Dock Preferences window which is, "Automatically Hide and Show the Menu Bar" and an easy mistake to make. I'd just check again.
Rod, that is not correct. I have multiple desktops and what is on each of them is different. It is possible to have them all the same, but most folks I know use them for individual applications that take a lot of screen space, preferring to just swipe instead of clicking on the Dock icon for anything that gets minimized to make room. The settings are under Mission Control in System Preferences. (The desktops are called "Spaces" in Apple terms. Here is Apple's help screen on that function:
If the desktop on your Mac gets cluttered with open app windows, you can use Mission Control to create additional desktops, called spaces, to organize the windows. When you work in a space, you see only the windows that are in that space.

The Spaces bar showing a desktop space, apps in full screen and Split View, and the Add button for creating a space.

Create a space
  1. On your Mac, enter Mission Control.
    If you’re working with apps in full screen or Split View, their thumbnails are shown in the Spaces bar.
  2. In the Spaces bar, click the Add button
    a2ef32e34a5573d192b10d340a4f46b1.png
    You can create up to 16 spaces.
  3. When you’re done, click the thumbnail for a space to open it.
Tip: Make your spaces unique by assigning a different desktop picture to each one. Just assign System Preferences to all desktops (see the information about assigning apps below), then change the desktop picture in each space.
Move between spaces
On your Mac, do any of the following:
  • On a trackpad, swipe left or right with three or four fingers. On a Magic Mouse, swipe with two fingers.
  • Press the Control key and the Right or Left arrow key.
  • Enter Mission Control, move the pointer to the top edge of the screen, then click a space in the Spaces bar.
If your Mac has a Touch Bar, you can set an option in Keyboard preferences to show spaces in the Touch Bar. Then just tap a space in the Touch Bar to open the space.
Move an app window from one space to another
On your Mac, do any of the following:
  • Drag the app window you want to move to the edge of the screen. After a moment, the window moves to the next space.
  • Go to the space that has the window you want to move, enter Mission Control, then drag the window up to the space you want to use.
    If you drag the window onto a full screen app in the Spaces bar, you can use the apps in Split View.
Assign apps to spaces
If you use two or more spaces, you can assign an app (or System Preferences) to a specific space so it always opens in that space.
  1. On your Mac, Control-click an app’s icon in the Dock.
    You may need to first open the app to see its icon in the Dock.
  2. From the shortcut menu that appears, choose Options, then choose one of the following:
    • All Desktops: The app opens in every space.
    • This Desktop: The app opens only in the current space. If you use the app full screen, it appears in its own space.
    • Desktop on Display [number]: The app opens in the current space on a specific display (if more than one display is available).
    • None: The app opens in whichever space you’re using at the time.
By default, when switching to an app, the desktop automatically switches to a space that has open windows for the app. For example, if you create a new TextEdit document in Desktop 3, but TextEdit windows are already open in Desktop 2, your new document opens in Desktop 2. To change this setting, choose Apple menu
2f77cc85238452e25cb517130188bf99.png
> System Preferences, click Mission Control, then deselect the checkbox for switching.
Open Mission Control preferences for me
Delete a space
  1. On your Mac, enter Mission Control, then move the pointer to the top edge of the screen.
  2. In the Spaces bar, move the pointer over the space you want to delete, then click the Delete button
    d893593d8dc177b7bb6ab1e70c3ed633.png
    that appears.
    If the space contains open windows, they are moved to another space.
You can quickly stop using an app in full screen or Split View by moving the pointer over the thumbnail in the Space bar, then clicking the Exit button
b28b8150a4a8a9fc566716e9e8d2a6de.png
that appears.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Jake, that is a great explanation/illustration of Spaces via Mission Control on Hot Corners which I have been using for some years now but I've never been able to find such a clear explanation of the setup process and it's uses. I will be copying that for my Mac references folder.

The only thing I do not do is allocate specific apps to specific desktops as I tend to quit unused apps when I've finished using them but where I do need multiple full screen apps running at the same time I simply open them separately on a new (empty) desktop.

If this is what the OP was referring to (we havent received a reply) then this is a very different problem for which I have no explanation yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
5K iMac 27" 4.2ghz / Mojave
As ferrar noted, it could also be "Hot Corners"

System Preferences--> Desktop & Screen Saver --> Screen Saver --> Hot Corners
or
Sysstem Preferences --> Mission Control --> Hot Corners

I use this on every Mac to specify mouse actions in the corners to do certain things; bottom-left reveals the desktop; top-right prevents the screen saver from starting; top-left starts screen saver (and locks screen); bottom-right shows all application windows. The "reveal desktop" is the one I use most often, very useful (you can get the same result by Option-clicking the Finder icon on the dock).

All corners are customizable -this is just how I have it set up.

That said - it does sound like kbagrandeur is jumping between spaces....

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess there's not much more we can say until we receive a reply.
I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one using Hot Corners, Spaces and Mission Control. On a 12" MBP it is invaluable for me.
Perhapes kblegrandeur has already solved the problem and will let us know how.:confused:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.